[NanoCube 12 DX] what now?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Al! Chip - At the fast rate that LED technology is evolving, even new articles become out of date quickly!

illidan

sweet i just got mine today, i am going to wait until the bulbs burn out to make a led hood. You haven't experienced any increased algae growth?

Al! let me have your LED hood!!! I just got a 14G BioCube and want LEDs! I just dont think i am capable of making it myself. I want my tank to look as amazing as yours!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al! let me have your LED hood!!! I just got a 14G BioCube and want LEDs! I just dont think i am capable of making it myself. I want my tank to look as amazing as yours!

Awww thanks! That's a HUGE compliment!

Keep in mind that I didn't make this myself either! If you're really interested in LED give chipmunkofdoom2 a shout. Maybe yall can work something out. He bought enough "materials" to make several I believe. At least of the smaller things (wiring etc). He does VERY good work to IMHO.

Awww thanks! That's a HUGE compliment!

Keep in mind that I didn't make this myself either! If you're really interested in LED give chipmunkofdoom2 a shout. Maybe yall can work something out. He bought enough "materials" to make several I believe. At least of the smaller things (wiring etc). He does VERY good work to IMHO.

Yeah i wanted to shoot him a PM but i dont know if i can really afford it right now. Ill start setting money aside for a LED fixture and then send him a PM. Ive been drooling over his (yours) LED hood thread.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah i wanted to shoot him a PM but i dont know if i can really afford it right now. Ill start setting money aside for a LED fixture and then send him a PM. Ive been drooling over his (yours) LED hood thread.

That's exactly what I did. I put $$ aside while he and I were mulling the idea over. It's worth EVERY single penny IMHO :)

lzrlvr

hi i have a 12gal nano dx.i did not install the bio-balls or the ceramic rings i left all 3 sponge filters in place.the tank has been running for about 2 1/2 months.i have a 3/4 inch live sand base and live rock.i do not have any live rock in the filter compartments.i only did 1 water change so far but i did add some fresh and saltwater to the tank to make up for evaporation and adjust the salinty.i had some small life within 1 week of setup.i now have stomatella snails,many isopods,bristleworms,a good population of pinapple sponges,white flatworms,5 or 6 small snails i cannot identify and a new piece of rock i purchased about 1 1/2 weeks ago that has some discosoma/mushroom polyps.all is doing well.now to get to the point this is my first salt/reef tank i think you should not let it become to complicated take your time and do some research follow the rules but dont become a sheep.also the recent addition of live rock i purchased came with some cool hitchhickers some small tubeworms a spaghetti worm some nice algae and sponges.i am adding a colony of zoanthid and xenia this weekend then i will let the tank chill for a while before any new additions.good luck go slow and have fun i love this stuff to cool.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well this tank has been "neglected" by a long shot. It's been a CRAZY year and to be honest this tank has been on Auto-Pilot for months. No water changes.. no NOTHING but an occasional top-off and feeding. The first 2 pictures make that VERY evident.

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

and here is what 3 HOURS of scrubbing and cleaning and such did for it
DSC00083.jpg

It's got a lot more work to go but at least it's going in the right direction now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's going to take SEVERAL more "sessions" to get this tank back in order again. The amount of "sediment" is unreal. All that GHA just collected detritus and all kinds of stuff and that's all that's left. I'll make enough water tonight to do another water change in a day or two and try to keep doing them every few days until this tank is back in shape again.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've been tinkering with my work tank some experimenting with cleaning the rock. I've taken some of the rock out (wanted a more open look anyway). The rock that's left I want to clean it "Like New" again :LOL:

So I'm taking 1 rock out at a time and taking it home to CLEAN it. Cleaning is:

• a) 24hrs in a Chlorine/H2o bath. (1 cup chlorine to 2g water)
  • b) remove from bath and do mild rinse under water hose.
  • c) Using wire brush on drill to scrub rock surface clean
  • d) place rock in Toilet Tank for daily "Water Changes" (some days more than 1x LOL)
  • e) after a few days remove rock let dry outside in the sun
  • f) bring clean rock back to tank and remove the next "Cleaning Victim" to start all over again.

So can you tell which rock is "Cleaned" in this picture?
12g_6_16_20118.jpg

12g_6_16_20111.jpg

Here is my Finger Leather after I cut some frags from it earlier this week
12g_6_16_20119.jpg