[NanoCube 12 DX] what now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I got my new [NanoCube 12 DX] in Friday. Over the weekend I leak checked it and made sure all connections were secure and everything is functional (it's actually circulating just clean tap water right now at home).

I am planning to set it up here in my office as a small reef tank (nano-reef) and want to do it "right" from the start. I understand that the "Bio-balls" and "ceramic rings" need to leave first thing. I'll be adding LS, LR and I like the idea of running a "Micro-fuge" in one of the back chambers of the unit. My worry is that maybe the flow is too high through those chambers for an efficient fuge (or not). Anyone doing this now? If so tips and pics would be GREAT!

I'm going to place my heater in the back chambers and also plan to replace the pump with a MJ-900 & Hydor to help with the system. Have read several people are complaining that the stock pump is too slow and produces a lot of heat! Can't have that!! Any input here?

How much LR Rubble will fit back there? since I don't have any laying around and LFS doesn't have any I'll have to order some and would like a general idea of how much to order as to no waste any (or $$ either). I want to have enough LR Rubble to help the whole bio-filter but I also need room for Cheato (sp?) as well. Do I completely remove ALL the sponge filter in chamber #1 from the get go or just clean it once a week?

Anyone have this nanotuners moonlight FIX ? I like to run my lights on a timer (lazy and makes a more consistent system) and with the stock set-up the moonlights can't operate when the main ballast is turned off with the timer.

On average how much LR are people able to put in this cube (realistically now) and still be able to have room for a small fish or two to be able to get around?

Once I get things settled I'll post pics of the unit in various stages.

Allen

PS Thanks for any input!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Anyone used or seen used a Hydor in one of these? I'm wondering if it would appear to large and out of place inside the cube.

Allen

Snelly40

i use the stock return pump, but a quiet one from my sump return.
I would take out all SPONGES and bio-rings and that stuff.
There are hidden sponges deep in the back compartments, take them all out. Add Rubble to the first chamber, i'd add it all the way to th water level. THen i would add your cheato to the second chamber with a small light so it will grow, the flow through the cheato can be pretty rapid and with all this back there it will act as mechanical filtration plus will be great for the whole system :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i use the stock return pump, but a quiet one from my sump return.
I would take out all SPONGES and bio-rings and that stuff.
There are hidden sponges deep in the back compartments, take them all out. Add Rubble to the first chamber, i'd add it all the way to th water level. THen i would add your cheato to the second chamber with a small light so it will grow, the flow through the cheato can be pretty rapid and with all this back there it will act as mechanical filtration plus will be great for the whole system :)

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to get home to do some more investigating and planning. trying to sit down and plan EVERYTHING out as much as possible before actually placing the unit here in my office.

...There are hidden sponges deep in the back compartments, take them all out. ..

Ohh those sneaky lil rascals :lol:

I'll be making SURE they are all clean before adding anything else.

Thanks again,
Allen

Snelly40

i had HUGE nitrate issues, and was doing water changes, cleaning sponges and could not figure it out, then one day i dropped a piece of a powerhead in the rear compartment and in trying to fish it out, felt a sponge way out of reach and site. Took it out and it was black, gross, then found one in the middle chamber, blaaaaaack, groooooosssser. Once these were gone my tank lit up and everything got so much better. Id def add in the rubble and cheato too and it will be great and maybe some purigen in the third chamber for some clarity and it will be beautiful

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah last night I found 2 in the first chamber and the second one was just about UN-reachable (Big Hands here). I'll make sure nothing is left in there before I start adding all the good stuff.

So you don't think that the flow will be too great in that chamber for Cheato? I want to add Cheato and LR to help the whole Bio-filter process. What is this purigen stuff? Is it painful? :LOL:

thanks for your time!

Allen

Snelly40

i htink the flow would be fine for the cheato.
Purigen is very painless and adds great clarity and is a great filter of organics and ammonia/trites/trates in the water. It is very simple and worht it. I use purigen and carbon

justsunnie

The DX came in!!! Yay!!!

I have the std model and I haven't taken any of that stuff out, to be honest. I take the sponges out regularly and rinse them out really good, and do water changes every week or two (just a gallon or so).

You may need to get your wife to take out the hard to reach sponges. I've found my girl hands are rather adept at sponge-plucking.

P.S. I have a purigen packet too. It works wonders.

Last edited:
I dont have advice for your 12g, although it sounds great, any idea for what fish/inverts/coral you want in it?

I was going to ask about the sponges, i have a 24g aquapod with some nitrate issues, i ditched the bio balls and ceramic rings but should i ditch the sponges as well?

Right now my back compartment (next to the sponges) is filled to the water line with live rock rubble, if i ditch the sponges should i fill the entire back compartment with rubble?

PS i dont know anything about fuges, how good of an idea are they in a nano?

Reeflover

The Nvm moonfix from nanotunes is great i just ed installed mine this weekend very simple and easy only had to drill a few wholes but i also went with the dual harness that comes with the extra l.e.d.'s well worth it definetly recommend the extra l.e.d.'s if you like the look of the moon lights
also am running heater in 3rd back compartment with no probs.something i do have probs with unfortunetly is heat fluctuation thus is my next mission!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Snelly40. I'll take your advice and when I order my supplies I'll have to get some "Purigen" because that stuff sounds almost too good to be true :)

JustSunnie you had a GREAT idea. Got my wife to use her lil hands and sure enough she DID pull out another sponge. How funny :lol: have you not had any Nitrate issues leaving those Bio-balls in there? I was reading the extensive (read here.. One photo copied page, front and back) instructions and in this it states Reef Instructions
It is reccommended to remove the following for "Reef Applications" to prevent the build-up of undesirable Nitrate:
a) Bio-balls b) Ceramic Rings

I'll be leaving those out when I go to finalize my installation. The LR Rubble should take care of the bio-filter needs along with the actual LR in the tank.

YumSaltWater Either replace the sponges with a like material of keep them CLEANED. They are an ideal area for "matter" to build up and cause problems. I think this is just one of those areas that is a must do for maintenance. If someone has a better idea please let US know :)

The refuge is something that just makes since to me. I even saw one online on a 3.2 gallon micro tank. They serve many purposes...
1) increase total water volume
2) Provides breeding area for "pods" which can become additional food for your "Critters"
3) Creates natural filtration relieving some of the load on OTHER filtration systems
4) The "Cheato" or Macro algae is an excellent source or bio-material to consume "Extra food matter" and also to remove nitrates which is a big No No in your reef tank. Plus they kind of look "cool".

As for my plans they are to have some really neat corals (SPS) and a clean up crew and maybe 2-3 small cool fish. Nothing really MAJOR and gonna concentrate on keeping the bio-load low and stable. This is going to be in a high traffic area for customers coming into my office so I need to keep it looking as good as possible.

Reeflover the NVM "moon-fix" is now on my MUST have list. I'll be ordering that with my next order. So you got the dual harness (which was +9.95) was there any additional cost other than that? I LOVE moonlights! that's something we have all enjoyed so much in my 10g tank here at home. I got a "DigiKits" custom 14" 12 LED strip with dimmer. It simply ROCKS! The price was dirt cheap and the customer service was awesome. If I could get one to fit inside this hood I would order one right now for the CUBE but it's a square tube 1"x1"x14" across. I don't think there is enough room inside the splash shield for this is that?

Heat? What do you feel is your problem? which lights are you running? I left my tank running over night without a heater (haven't gotten it yet) and when I got home this evening the water temp was only 74deg. Have you modded your hood?

Thanks for the input! That's what makes this forum AMAZING!

Sincerely,
Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Snelly got any pics of your Cube/fuge set up? Would LOVE to see what that looks like.

Allen :)

Snelly40

i dont im sorry, with construcitng my new tank i have taken alot down to move and upgrade im sorry, but i will take pics of the new one as it goes.
hope i can help with urs thogh :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:) No need for sorry. You've already helped a ton and I'll be picking your brain on and on :)

Thanks,
Allen

justsunnie

TBH I wasn't testing for a while. This weekend when I tested a day after adding a couple lbs of LR with polyps, trates were 0. So no, I guess I haven't been having nitrate problems.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
TBH I wasn't testing for a while. This weekend when I tested a day after adding a couple lbs of LR with polyps, trates were 0. So no, I guess I haven't been having nitrate problems.

Can't beat that. Zero is about as good as it gets :D

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good question... It's still at my house waiting for me to make some decisions.... I am TRYING to take my time and do it right from the beginning. Still trying to decide on the rock and other aspects of it. I actually have to admit I spent my "rock-fund" on a new golf club for a trip I am taking this weekend. Once I KNOW which direction I'm going I'll start ordering stuff and getting it categorized.

Thanks for your interest!

Allen

justsunnie

Good question... It's still at my house waiting for me to make some decisions.... I am TRYING to take my time and do it right from the beginning. Still trying to decide on the rock and other aspects of it. I actually have to admit I spent my "rock-fund" on a new golf club for a trip I am taking this weekend. Once I KNOW which direction I'm going I'll start ordering stuff and getting it categorized.

Thanks for your interest!

Allen

:lol:

I'm sure you'll get plenty of use out of that golf club!
Mine have been sitting in the closet for at least six months.

I see that you posted some pics, so I'm going to go peak.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: Well actually I will.. leaving in a couple of hours on a weekend long golf trip (company business of course :) ). I think I need to figure out how to count it off as a "business" expense!! :LOL:

I think I am really close to going ahead and ordering the LR from Dr F&S. I may do that Monday or Tuesday! About time to get this thing GOING!!
Allen