Search results

1. reefjitsu

SG for freshwater?

It really should be measured in ppm (parts per million) for freshwater, and it should still not be 0. Most commercial hydrometers will not be sensitive enough to make the distinction however.
  2. reefjitsu

SG for freshwater?

It still should not be 0 ppt. That is pure water and is not suitable for fish of any type. Pure water should only be used for top offs or to mix with other chemicals to make the proper solution to support the organisms you are trying to keep. The point I am trying to get across is that "fresh...
  3. reefjitsu

SG for freshwater?

It should not be zero. I will assume that 1.000 is meant by this, saltwater is around 1.023. It still should not be 1.000, that number is for pure water and "fresh water" is not "pure 100% water" by any means. "Fresh water" is a really vague term that means nothing other than "not seawater"...
  4. reefjitsu

Does actinic light can harm your eyes?

Actinics produce most of their light near but not at the UV range. They do also produce some UV light. Extreme prolonged exposure could be harmful, but it is not necessary to take any radical precautions.
  5. reefjitsu

Great Barrier Reef will be gone in 20 years, says Charlie Veron

I have to call BS on that statement. No way anybody has talked to every coral reef scientist and received their backing. On the side of hope for the future....The Great Barrier Reef has come and gone a few times in it's history. During past ice ages, when sea level was lower, the area now...
  6. reefjitsu

Do you know what is this? Pics

These mats are a mixture of sediment, detritus, cyanobacteria, algae and other microbes. You should be able to siphon most of it out when you do water changes. Incedentally, these microbial and sedimentary assemblages are pretty much the same as the process that forms stromatolites. Fossils of...
  7. reefjitsu

puffer fish at walmart

There are puffers that live in fresh water, brackish water, and saltwater; and there are some that may live in all three at various points in their lives. Some like hard water, some like soft. With puffers you have to identify the species and then make the appropriate arrangements for care...
  8. reefjitsu

Bioluminescing live rock

A few years ago, I saw something producing light in one of my tanks. Turned out to be a peppermint shrimp that was eating a firefly that had fallen into the tank. Everytime the shrimp swallowed, it's digestive system would light up!
  9. reefjitsu

Need an ID on my fish i bought recently

Would definately agree with the above assessment, it's probably a juvenile Plagiotremus rhinorhynchos or Bluestriped Fangblenny. The juveniles of this species mimic the striped cleaner wrasse, but instead of cleaning, they bite off small bits of flesh and scales.
  10. reefjitsu

Freshwater Jellyfish

I participated in some studies on them when I was in college. Pretty cool critters, but they spend most of their life as polyps if I recall correctly. It can be pretty cool to see when they are in 'bloom' though. It seems that I remember there being some barrier to keeping them in the medusa...
  11. reefjitsu

My Pistol shrimp is killing everything

There are many kinds of pistol shrimp and some of them will definately kill fish. Not all of the pistol shrimps will form sybiotic relationships and even the ones that do should only be trusted not to harm their respective symbiotic partner species.
  12. reefjitsu

He only comes out at night.

Definately looks like a stone crab. Is your rock from Florida? I had one that lived in my sump for years. He was actully kind of cool and became very brave. He would get all excited and come running up to the top of the tank and wave his claws at me "demanding food" when I walked by.
  13. reefjitsu

dwarf lion

you may also try online for live feeders, many online stores are offering various live marine feeders now (mostly shrimp of various kinds). Also, if you live near the coast, you may also try catching your own minnows and shrimp. Though there is risk of introducing disease as others have...
  14. reefjitsu

Help with identification

the second pic is a vermetid snail.
  15. reefjitsu

Shipwrecks On Coral Reefs Harbor Unwanted Species

A quick solution off the top of my head for unwanted reef invaders. Collect them, sell them to hobbyists and use the profits to fund research and conservation. It is not a solution to all unwanted reef invaders but it would certainly work for "aquarium desirables" like Rhodactis.
  16. reefjitsu

Giant clams feeding early humans

Giant Clams Fed Early Humans | LiveScience
  17. reefjitsu

something's eating my starfish

Ditto to what BigAl said, check your water parameters.
  18. reefjitsu

Fare Well To An Extraordinary Friend

Sorry to hear about this.
  19. reefjitsu

smooth white worm?

It was probably an epitoke of some worm species, if it was swimming.
  20. reefjitsu

Stunning Nudibranch Photos

Great pics, thanks for sharing.