puffer fish at walmart

aqualady

Has anyone ever heard of a fresh water puffer fish? Apparently WalMart is selling one. One of my students (I am a high school guidance counselor) bought one. They told him to use the aquarium salt meant for fresh water??? The fish died of course:( . I was very upset to hear this. It would make me feel much better to know there is a fresh water puffer. If not, I may have to go to my local walMart had "enlighten" them. :cursin:

They do have freshwater puffer fish, you do not use the "freshwater salt" for them.. they are just like regular freshwater fish.

I had several my FW tank years ago

Google it you will get tons of sites.. here is a link

Puffer Fish for Fresh Water Aquariums: Tips for Keeping Puffers in a Home Aquarium | Suite101.com

They are known as Brackish. Which means they can live in Full fresh water, or full SW. They prefer to be somewhere inbetween. In the wild these fish are found right at the delta of rivers pouring in to the ocean. The mix between fresh (River) and salt (Ocean) creates a special zone in which the SG is low enough that some fresh water species can survive. The Green Spot Puffer (Which is the name I think you are refering to) is one of those species. There are a couple other species of puffers as well.

reefjitsu

There are puffers that live in fresh water, brackish water, and saltwater; and there are some that may live in all three at various points in their lives. Some like hard water, some like soft. With puffers you have to identify the species and then make the appropriate arrangements for care. There are no "catch all" rules that will apply to all puffers.

Walmart usually has green spotted puffers and figure 8 puffers.

If making brackish water, you must use marine salt, the same kind as for salt water tanks. Aquarium salt is not a complete mix and is not suited for this purpose.

aqualady

Thanks everybody! That really helps. I'll pass your advice on to my "young padawan learner" . He really wants to try the little puffer again. I can't blame him, they are super cute!