Does actinic light can harm your eyes?

r2d2

Hi all. I've read that actinic lamps hemit some UV light. Can these harm your eyes? or skin?
Does anybody has some info about this?
Greetings

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
r2d2 I wouldn't think that limited exposure to Actinic (UV) is harmful. I would imagine that long-term would be the same as laying in the sun non-stop or living in a tanning bed. UV can cause symptoms like "sunburn", pigmentation (Tan) and even skin cancer. Actinic is a portion of UV light.

I don't think that in normal instances it poses much of a thread but I wouldn't use it for room or reading light LOL!

Actinic light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

then go to
Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

reefjitsu

Actinics produce most of their light near but not at the UV range. They do also produce some UV light. Extreme prolonged exposure could be harmful, but it is not necessary to take any radical precautions.

Rhodes19

Its my understanding that actinics do emit some (little amount) into the UV range but it is in the UV A range which is ok. It is the UV B range that causes sun burns and cellular damage.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think BOTH "can" cause problems with over-exposure. I know our tanks are NOT in that arena but just to be safe ...

Both UVA and UVB lead to skin cancer, whether it is malignant or benign. In the malignant type of cancer there is a tumor that appears as a consequence of abnormal proliferating skin cells. The uncontrollable growing of these cells leads to melanoma tumor forming, which in most of the cases is lethal.

more

Usually, melanoma skin cancer is caused by the UVA rays, as these are longer and can penetrate deeper skin layers.

and

UVA are responsible for most of the vision problems, as they do not limit their action to the surface of the eye, but they go deeper, penetrating the retina.

selected from
UV Radiation - What UVA, UVB and UVC Rays Are and How They Affect Us - All you need to know about UV sun rays and their effect upon our body and health - Softpedia

and one more tidbit for reading

In the 1980s, UVA Radiation was considered safe and used in tanning beds. UVA actually does the most harm. UV = Ultra Violet.

UVB Radiation is prominent in summer months in any earth hemisphere; in summer, that part of the earth is closest to the sun. Sunscreens used to block only UVB, until we found out that UVA is worse for the body.

selected from Questions about UVA Uvb Uvc - Ask.com

Rhodes19

Thanks Allen,

Not to be a pain, but I must disagree with some of their information. My biggest objection was to the comment “which in most of the cases is lethal”. Depending on the study, the 5-year survival rate for melanomas is from 91% - 99% (its lower if it gets into the lymph system). Further review on the web has been very disappointing. The documented medical research I found from NASA, research hospitals et al, was contradictory. Some say UV A causes cancer; some say UV B causes cancer, or all of the above (studies within the past 5 years). My training says sunburns come from UV A (as does vitamin D production) where as UV B causes cancer due to DNA damage. I have also read research that concludes that the increase in skin cancer is not so much from UV as it is from the chemicals used in suntan lotions (with a few exceptions). I do agree about UV A and the eyes. Mostly from being in the snow, desert or on the water. That is well documented.

As it applies to our hobby, the UV rays from the actinics are minuscule and lack much energy to do any real harm. I do not intend to stare at them though. :)

Ok, I’m off my soapbox. :D

r2d2

I think this would be a stupid question but we have very interesting posts.
So, my concern about harmful UV rays in my dinning room is out of place, right?
Thing is with my new fixture I get 2 420nm that makes all room so violet in color and so remember have read someting about UV emitions from actinic lighting.
Im changing those bulbs anyway because of color but just wanted to be sure about this.
Greetings

Rhodes19

I think this would be a stupid question but we have very interesting posts.
So, my concern about harmful UV rays in my dinning room is out of place, right?
Thing is with my new fixture I get 2 420nm that makes all room so violet in color and so remember have read someting about UV emitions from actinic lighting.
Im changing those bulbs anyway because of color but just wanted to be sure about this.
Greetings

r2d2,

I wouldn't worry about the UV rays from your lights hurting any thing. Very, very little UV come from the bulb. You will get more UV from being out side.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree that many of the studies are "controversial".

Regardless I don't think that "2nd hand" light (I made that one up) from our tanks is negligible at the most.

Debating is healthy and can be fun :)