Shipwrecks On Coral Reefs Harbor Unwanted Species

Frankie

RS STAFF
shipwrecks.jpg

ScienceDaily (Aug. 22, 2008) — Shipwrecks on coral reefs may increase invasion of unwanted species, according to a recent U.S. Geological Survey study. These unwanted species can completely overtake the reef and eliminate all the native coral, dramatically decreasing the diversity of marine organisms on the reef. This study documents for the first time that a rapid change in the dominant biota on a coral reef is unambiguously associated with man-made structures.
Shipwrecks On Coral Reefs Harbor Unwanted Species

seafansar

Huh...interesting. I always thought structure, weather man made or natural, was good for coral reefs; giving the coral something to attach to. I guess part of the reason invasive organisms can take over is because the "habitat" is relatively new and those that reproduce and grow the fastest will win like plants do on land. And the leaching of pollutants probably doesn't help much either.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awesome response Sara! I have always been against ship sinking for reef building. It just never made sense to me~

seafansar

Haha...thanks. That's what studying zoology does to ya. lol.

I wonder how common the whole invasive thing is. In the Keys, I've dived around some sunken boats and I've only noticed native corals (I think) growing on them. It does seem bad putting that much metal and such in the water though.

mps9506

Whether this phenomenon occurs on other coral atolls is unknown; however, in the case of Palmyra, the R. howesii infestation is beginning to reach catastrophic proportions,

Reading that article I think it is not a correct opinion to jump to the conclusion that all shipwrecks or manmade structures are bad for reefs (or good for reefs for that matter). They are assuming the rapid reproduction of Rhodactis sp. is linked directly to the shipwreck. Could it be indirectly related to the shipwreck or maybe not related at all? Perhaps the wreck is still leaching some type of nutrient source into the water making conditions more favorable to Rhodactis sp versus stony corals. Perhaps the link could be something else entirely independent of the ship. :D

On other related news I found a Centropyge ferrugata while surfing today. I suspect someone threw it away, it wasn't healthy and swam right under my board where I could scoop it right up. Probably bluefish food by now.

reefjitsu

A quick solution off the top of my head for unwanted reef invaders. Collect them, sell them to hobbyists and use the profits to fund research and conservation. It is not a solution to all unwanted reef invaders but it would certainly work for "aquarium desirables" like Rhodactis.