He only comes out at night.

jimboslice

Finally caught the crab running around just now. He only comes out when the lights are off. I turned them on really quick to get the photo. I'm pretty sure he is a stone crab of some sort?

hitch_hiker_crab.jpg

wazzifam

Mmmmmmm I recognize those claws. He better behave or hes gonna taste mighty fine! :smack:

Finally caught the crab running around just now. He only comes out when the lights are off. I turned them on really quick to get the photo. I'm pretty sure he is a stone crab of some sort?

hitch_hiker_crab.jpg

reefjitsu

Definately looks like a stone crab. Is your rock from Florida? I had one that lived in my sump for years. He was actully kind of cool and became very brave. He would get all excited and come running up to the top of the tank and wave his claws at me "demanding food" when I walked by.

Stacef

Do you have a sump? I would try and trap him and put him in there, no harm he can do there!

Zeyphon

Haha, shame you had to send him back to the LFS, looks like a cool little crab. He has a "Hey, who turned the lights on!?" kind of look on his face.

aftbn

Stone crabs have no place in a reef tank. I had one come into my tank as a kid collecting live rock while snorkling in South Florida back in the 80s. That sucker ate everything in my tank that it could get it's claws on and grew a very excellerated rate. My wife had given me a shark egg that i spent months waiting for it to hatch. Finally after several months the shark hatched and it took me about 2-3 weeks to get that baby shark to eat solid food. Well about the time that shark turned 3 months old, I woke up one morning to find the stone crab ripping him appart and feasting on him. I eventually had to tear that tank down because there was nothing left in it but rock, rubble water and a stone crab.