Search results

1. E

Photos

Good news! There is an entire forum and there are some stickies there with advice. :) Aquarium Photography Forum
  2. E

Questions around my DSB. PLEASE HELP!

redneck, you never really said what type of filtering you are doing. Is it just live rock in the DT and DSB in the sump? I don't know a lot but it seems to me that most people are doing some sort of nutrient export via ATS or refugium. I think you are right about hair algae being a good...
  3. E

Coral question.. and a mystery?

I don't know what is going on but I think for anyone to help you, they will need a lot more info. "Levels were normal" isn't enough. I would list everything you are testing for, plus salinity, temp, and general information about your system such as tank size, water change frequency, filtration...
  4. E

Help......... Fish sick.......

First you might have better luck here: Fish Diseases & Treatments Second: Did you quarantine the fish first? I don't know what you mean "kick ich treament" but the only ways to cure ich are copper or hyposalinity. The cure is a 6 to 8 week process so 15 days is way way way too short...
  5. E

Kangen Water

They don't even have their science correct. It states several places that it increases antioxidants and yet it raises the ORP (oxidation/reduction potential) to 700 mV. This is highly oxidizing water which is great if you want to kill things like bacteria for instance. BUT at an ORP that...
  6. E

Specific Gravity versus Salinity

Well if you want to calculate ppt then all you have to do to get an estimate is divide the grams of salt mix by the total liters of saltwater. If you want to be accurate then you have to take the mass of the salt divided by the mass of the salt and the water. Or you could just cheat and use...
  7. E

Introducing Corals

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I just watched a coral fraging video with Eric Borneman, who is very respected in the hobby. He highly recomended quarantining corals and specifically mentioned red bug like BigAl was talking about. Since it can slowly destroy a whole tank I think...
  8. E

Fighting The Good Fight, QT & Marine Ich

lol you might give it more than 20 minutes for a response. Also posting a picture would help a ton I am sure.
  9. E

First Sump

Well the fact that you reduced the flow from your pump and the overflow is now a trickle makes sense. The water coming through the overflow should always equal the amount you are returning to the tank with your pump. The drain line going underwater shouldn't make any difference. Do you have...
  10. E

Internal Parasite or something else!?

I would post this in the fish disease forum http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/. Pictures are needed. Also we need more tank information. How big is your tank? What is your filtration method? We need a full list of parameters including salinity, pH, and temp...
  11. E

clownfish bad eye

You will have far more luck in this forum http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/ Leebca or woodstock are usually around and offer excellent advice. From my understanding, popeye cannot be treated with medication. It is a sign of stress. I think you should post a...
  12. E

ich

There is a ton of information on the site about treating ich but unfortunately I think its a little bit hidden. Try these: General info: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html Treatment...
  13. E

Refractometer

I have used both in my job (not in saltwater tanks) and I have found both to be equally accurate. The problem is that my hydrometer is more money than a basic refractometer. The choice of which one to use really comes down to the application and I can't imagine many would prefer the...
  14. E

MH vs. T5, my experience

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience with an 8 bulb T5 set-up versus MH. The power with the bigger fixture would be a lot closer wattage wise to the MH's Jay is running. Not sure how the PAR would compare.
  15. E

pro's and con's of evaporation

I am not sure I agree with this. Below is a nerdy explanation why ::turntable Nitrogen gas (or for that matter CO2 or Oxygen) are exchanged based on the partial pressure of the dissolved gas in the water versus the atmosphere. Since the total pressure at the water/air border (interface if...
  16. E

Sump/Fuge

If you buy one instead of building, check out the Orca website. they are a sponsor and have pretty good prices and a variety of sumps and can modify their designs if needed.
  17. E

Setting up my plumbing...

Hi na, I don't know much so I am mainly just giving you a bump. Your skimmer is in the right place. Yes the pvc in the corner is for the return pump As far as the two pumps, one is to power your skimmer and the other is for the return. Not sure which is which...