Refractometer

iamspeed

Hi,

I am wondering if a good hydrometer, like the one that says "temperature corrected and accurate to +/- .001" can give a refractometer a run for its money.

I am sure there will be a lot of opinions, but has anyone compared the two?

Thanks

Rhodes19

Hi,

I am wondering if a good hydrometer, like the one that says "temperature corrected and accurate to +/- .001" can give a refractometer a run for its money.

I am sure there will be a lot of opinions, but has anyone compared the two?

Thanks

Never heard of one like that. Do you have one in mind?

BigJay

there will be no variety of opinions the answer is No. If anyone tells you that a hydrometer will ,then they are either selling you a hydrometer or they have never used a refractometer and are speaking from lack of experience.

OHmariner

there will be no variety of opinions the answer is No. If anyone tells you that a hydrometer will ,then they are either selling you a hydrometer or they have never used a refractometer and are speaking from lack of experience.

I completely agree with Jay. I got a cheap (but good) refractometer on ebay and it has been fantastic. Salinity is so important and the risk far out-weighs the benefit so get a refractometer and call it a day. Hydrometeres are never consistent and they leave a lot of room for error. I have tested three different types of hydrometers and they all yielded inconsistent results when tested back to back. The refractometer gives rock solid results over and over.:cool:

BigJay

FYI the OP has a refractometer and was just asking for clarification between the two products.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
For the low price of $34-$40.00 you to can have a piece of mind, knowing your salinity is perfect is priceless!

:D Accept no substitutes :D

Exo

FYI the OP has a refractometer and was just asking for clarification between the two products.

I have used both in my job (not in saltwater tanks) and I have found both to be equally accurate. The problem is that my hydrometer is more money than a basic refractometer.

The choice of which one to use really comes down to the application and I can't imagine many would prefer the hydrometer for a saltwater tank. Whatever you do, do not get a swing arm hydrometer.