Setting up my plumbing...

I'm ready to set up my first reef tank. I've spent months acquiring equipment and supplies and doing my research. Now that it's actually time to start putting everything together I realize I've never done anything with plumbing in my life and its a bit daunting. I'm sure it's not incredibly difficult, but I haven't seen too much info out there for those of us who have never had to put a bunch of PVC together!

I understand the general concepts of the plumbing... ie: where I need to have pipes going to and from and where I should put my pumps... but in regards to hooking them to the pumps, to each other, getting them to go where I need them to go, what sizes they need to be, if I should have flexible tubing or just use PVC, if I should install shut off valves... I have no clue! Any help or links to resources is appreciated!

My tank is 40 gallons. I have a 20 gallon sump, a CPR overflow box, and an in-tank refugium. Help please :)

Willie McDaries

the least amount of elbows the better for flow.....depending on what size return pump you have,you may need a ball valve on the output to regulate the flow from it,it all really depends on how your sump is configured....we need pics to better understand what you have and need to give you better advice

Okay finalllyyyyyy got some pictures!
So I bought this used set up monthhhhs ago (I think in April?) but didn't set anything up because I was going to be moving in a few months. Now I'm finally settled into my new place and unpacked all of the equipment. I have all these pumps and can't remember what goes to what. Being new to the hobby I'm also not sure what the best positioning for everything is... and as previously stated, I know nothing about plumbing!!! Thanks for your help!

Okay, here we go!

4931501777_2ff2f86bf4_m.jpg

That's my whole set up: 40 gallon breeder with 20 gallon megaflow model3 sump.

4931500933_63d1173f03_m.jpg

Megaflow Model 3 Sump. Is this a good spot for my skimmer?? In the middle chamber? The pvc in the corner.... is it for the return pump?.... I need some major help with the return....

4931501091_945e8551ea_m.jpg

Skimmer.... Does that green hose hook to that little pump? The green has been cut. I'm assuming I should replace it with a longer piece?

4931501187_7e455e8e70_m.jpg

Coming from the top of the skimmer... where does this hose go?! Also has been cut... Need to replace?

4931501407_0d02b1cb69_m.jpg

Goes from sump to CPR overflow box.

4932094782_86de194e16_m.jpg

CPR Overflow... connects to sump.

4932094860_95b23033c1_m.jpg

Yet another pump! Where does this one go?!

4932094258_5872a01caf_m.jpg

And this one too?!?

I've learned so much over the past ten months in regards to caring for the tank so that I would be prepared once I actually got it set up... but the plumbing is SO DAUNTING! I'm completely lost with this part! Help pleeeeeeeeease :)

Exo

Hi na,

I don't know much so I am mainly just giving you a bump.

Your skimmer is in the right place.

Yes the pvc in the corner is for the return pump

As far as the two pumps, one is to power your skimmer and the other is for the return. Not sure which is which

Anyway maybe someone will come along and help with the rest.

tnwillia

Pumps, you need a return (to DT) pump & the skimmer needs a pump. The skimmer pump should have been designed to work with the skimmer, who made, what is the model of your skimmer? What type/model pumps do you have now? All this will help us help you, Thanks!

Thanks for the replies :) Much appreciated! And thanks for the links, very helpful!

Here's the plumbing related equipment I have:
*Coral life super skimmer (125 gal)
*Cpr overflow box
*Danner 9.5 gal return pump
*Mega flow sump model 3
*toms aquarium pump
*switching water current director

rgfast

your mag 9 is your return pump the pump for the skimmer has air line connection it should be needle wheel inpeller you want good quaulity glue and primmer for your pvc the flex hose coming out of your skimmer goes into bubble cup you can find instuction for that modle skimmer on line if not I can find them and give you the link any ? questions feel free to ask got your pm and glad to help just let me know

seafansar

FYI flexible tubing is MUCH easier to use than PVC, but isn't as nice and organized as PVC. The problem with PVC is it's hard to get the lengths just right before gluing them together and it's hard to repair leaks if you don't glue it right (pretty much have to do it over again). Depends on what you like, I guess.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby could help you out. It's a little hard to describe how to put together plumbing, since each tank is different. I know I was really confused with the plumbing on my first tank and had to talk to the guy I bought the tank from over the phone to figure it out.

Thanks again for the help! Especially in sorting out which pump is for what! I think when I have off work this weekend I'll spend some time putting all the pumps and such in their correct locations and then i'll take some measurements and get my tubing hopefully next week.

I have read different opinions on PVC vs Flexible tubing. It sounds as if flexible is much easier to deal with, but is it as strong/reliable? I remember reading somewhere that I should get PVC rated for 400 psi. Does the flexible tubing come in the same such ratings?

What sort of tool do I need to buy to cut my tubing without getting uneven edges?

Any suggestions on what type of "glue" to use? Is there any benefit to using a pvc bonding solvent instead of just good ol' silicone??

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Much appreciated! I'm sure I will have many more questions!!!!

seafansar

I have never had any problems with flexible tubing being too weak. With the flexible tubing you don't need any glue or silicone. You just need those metal tightening things (no clue what they are called) that wraps around the tube and you tighten with a screwdriver. Put those wherever the tube connects to something so it won't fall off.
With PVC, use PVC cement not silicone. The cement will make it water tight, the silicone won't and it would not be as strong.
For either the best way to cut them is with a PVC cutting tool. You can find one easily in the plumbing section of a hardware store.
The one thing about using PVC is that you usually end up using some flexible tubing anyway, cause a lot of the connection pieces for tanks is meant for flexible tubing not PVC. For instance where the tubing connects to the overflow box. You can either keep that flexible hose (or get a new one if that one's cut. any fish store will know what you're talking about) OR find some flexible tubing that's the same size and then find a fitting for the flexible tubing to connect to PVC. Just using the flexible hose is easier than trying to find all those parts.

BTW, don't know how much you want to spend, but since you don't have the tank up and running yet, I suggest looking into the overflow systems glass-holes.com has if you feel comfortable drilling the back of your tank. They also have kits for the return.

Adalius

The 'metal tightening things' are hose clamps. They're usually stainless but some aren't, and I have had a couple stainless ones that still started to oxidize around salt water, I'd imagine they were a low chromium grade of stainless.

I used to (when I had a bigger tank) use at least one piece of flexible tubing, usually after a pump, because it would take out even the smallest vibration of the motor through the PVC. Really reduced my humming noise. Won't work in all situations since you have to really look at whats all shaking, what's causing it, and where you can get away with flex tubing. It's similar to how some furnaces are setup with a flexible duct piece before it goes into the hard ducting of the house so that the entire duct doesn't shake with the blower motor.

seafansar

Thank you for that. I had no clue what they were called. I only use them on connections out of the water. Also you can use hot water to get the flexible tubing to loosen up, so you can fit it over the connections. When it cools, it holds pretty tight.

Adalius

Excellent tip re: hot water, some people don't know that. It saved my life trying to make the hoses on my RO/DI fit some oddball valve setup I concoted.

Okay great. I think I am going to go with flexible tubing. It sounds like it is easier to work with and just as reliable.

This weekend I am going to draw out a plan, do some measuring, and head to home depot!

One more pump question...
I still have one pump that I can't figure out what it's for.
I have a pump hooked up to the skimmer. I have an "airlifter" pump that goes with the overflow box. I have a mag pump sitting in the sump hooked up to the return line.
The pump I have left is a small submersible pump. It says "Rio 800" on top. The lady I bought it from had 5-6 foot long flexible tubing connected to it. I have no idea what this one is for. Help???

Thanks!

PS. It's the second to last picture in the earlier post.

When I do a google search for it, I see that it's for powerheads. So was it probably hooked to the SCWD?? I just assumed I could put my SCWD on the return tube. Is that a bad idea?

Does this pump go in the sump or the display?

Adalius

You should be able to run the SCWD off the return. It doesn't look like she had a closed loop or anything so I would guess, given the 5-6' hose that *maybe* she used it for taking water out for a water change? Not really sure...