Specific Gravity versus Salinity

dltt

Hi all, I have looked on the internet but did not get my question answered. Regarding Specific Gravity and Salinity...I understand specific gravity is a measurement of water density: and Salinity is the actual weight of the salt in H2O. I am trying to find, for example: Water temp is 78f and specific gravity is 1.023, how can I calculate parts per thousand of salt mix in the water, or vice a versa? Sorry for such a newb question.

KARussell88

Its my understanding that they are both connected. As long as you know one of them then you don't need to know the other, if one goes up, so does the other and vise versa. A specific gravity between 1.022 and 1.025 is good. Just focus on that.
Wait for other people to chime in on this though I'm no scientist on this so I could be misinformed.

Exo

Well if you want to calculate ppt then all you have to do to get an estimate is divide the grams of salt mix by the total liters of saltwater. If you want to be accurate then you have to take the mass of the salt divided by the mass of the salt and the water. Or you could just cheat and use the link below.

Salinity is not temperature related but specific gravity is so they are related but not proportional.

Water Quality Monitoring: Specific Gravity to Salinity Conversion