Sump/Fuge

JoeRocket

I have a 125 reef and am looking to switch out the sump I am currently running now with another one. I was looking for some opinions on the best off the shelf sump/fuge on the market. Any input would be appreciated.

BigJay

I just got to check out the new proflex sumps and dig it! Aquarium Wet Dry Filters: Aqueon ProFlex Sump Filtration System at FosterandSmithaquatics.com

That being said my favorite sump is unquestionably a one made out of a glass fish tank. The amount of time it takes to build it plus the cost savings make it hard to say no. My biggest reason for liking them is the noise. The acrylic sumps resonate and amplify the sounds of the water, where as the glass is quite a bit stiffer and tends to muffle the sound.

map95003

Personally I prefer to build my own sump out of a glass tank. If you're handy and don't mind saving a few $$, for your 125 a standard 55 would make a great, spacious sump/fuge. You know what equipment and the amount of space they need so you could place the baffles where they make sense as opposed to paying tons of $$ for an off the shelf sump that is not customized for your equipment. Just my 2 cents from experience with my first off the shelf sump, I ditched it after just a few months....8 years ago.

JoeRocket

Yeah it seems these off the shelf sumps just can't get it done. I'm looking for a specific setup and it's going to come down to paying LifeReef to build me one or me building it myslef. Thanks for all the suggestions..

Exo

If you buy one instead of building, check out the Orca website. they are a sponsor and have pretty good prices and a variety of sumps and can modify their designs if needed.

BigJay

or me building it myslef. Thanks for all the suggestions..

seriously go for it. It's got to be one of the easiest do it yourself projects for the hobby. There are some excellent videos on youtube that will walk you through it and give you some quick tips on how to set your baffles. For instance the one i used recommended using compact disc cases to act as your jig. The only tools you'll need is something to cut the acrylic and even that you can take somewhere and have cut for you. The hardest part of the whole project is having the patience to let the silicone cure for a full 48 hours.