ich

lunchbox

i need some opinions on treating ich. i have read lowering the salt and keeping it lowered for 6 weeks is better than treating with copper... i have a porkupine puffer and a snowflake eel in the tank now, live rock and nothing else what are some of your opinions on this.. thank you for all that reply

Try Herbtana form Microbe-lift, that is what I use and it is reef safe. I use it when I quarantine my fish and then use it when I introduce it to my system.

Skyreefer

I just had a small ich problem with my blue hippo tang. I smashed up some fresh garlic, put it in a bowl of RO water, put frozen food in a brine shrimp net, then soaked it in the garlic water mix. Fed this to the tank for two days and all ich in the tang went away plus the tank mates got a good dose of garlic. I also gave the tang a few small chopped garlic chunks and she ate it right up. Maybe you could try this method with frozen mysis or whatever your'e feeding.

If this doesn't help I would recommend reading the threads about curing ich here on this forum. Mainly the hypo-salinity treatment and the copper treatment.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just had a small ich problem with my blue hippo tang. I smashed up some fresh garlic, put it in a bowl of RO water, put frozen food in a brine shrimp net, then soaked it in the garlic water mix. Fed this to the tank for two days and all ich in the tang went away plus the tank mates got a good dose of garlic. I also gave the tang a few small chopped garlic chunks and she ate it right up. Maybe you could try this method with frozen mysis or whatever your'e feeding.

If this doesn't help I would recommend reading the threads about curing ich here on this forum. Mainly the hypo-salinity treatment and the copper treatment.

With all due respect Garlic is not a cure for Ich or really anything else. It's theorized that it might help bolster the immune system to help fight off some ailments before they take hold. What's most likely happened is that your tank has gone through a change in that you're not SEEING the next stage of the parasite. This is so common and so many people think they are Ich-Free and then have a re-infection later on. The tank was never Ich FREE to begin with.

The ONLY reef safe method is linked above by Exo in

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

*** Thread moved to Fish Disease & Treatment forum so it gets the help and advice needed ASAP****

Skyreefer

I agree with EXO, BigAl, and leebca. Didn't mean to give any bad advice. When I encounter problems with ich or any other ailments I first check my water quality and see if there is something I can do to keep the issue at bay like a water change and strengthen the immune system of the fish. If I have to, I'll set up a quarantine system and use the "Curing Fish of Marine Ich" directions posted by leebca. However, I will only set up this system as a last resort to save the fish if possible. I really don't have the time to set up another system and play Doctor Aquaria for 6 weeks. I'm frequently in and out of town, and I doubt I would be successful with it.