Fighting The Good Fight, QT & Marine Ich

JRM

OK,
I have been following the process for going fallow and q.t.-ing all fish. I treated with copper and i am in week 5. All fish appeared to be cured. Today i got a new light for the QT. I have better visibilty and I see 2-3 spots on the pectoral fins of the porcupine puffer. The ones at the top of the fins look like they are could be growth of the fin. The others I am not sure about. No spots anywhere else. All fish have been in QT for 5 weeks no cross contamination, 2 weeks of cupramine in effective range. Is it possible that these spots on the fins of the porcupine puffer could be part of the growth of the fin or could it be something else? It doesnt look like ich and there are no spots on the body yet. Is this ich resurfacing in the QT? What should I do next?

Exo

lol you might give it more than 20 minutes for a response. Also posting a picture would help a ton I am sure.

JRM

Yeah I know. I have never participated in a forum before. I am hoping my patience over the last 5 weeks to get rid of the ich has not failed. I'm not sure a picture would help that much as these spots are on the porcupines pectoral fins, no where else yet, and they are constantly moving so fast that I can barely focus on them to make a definite determination of what they are. His fins were tore up a bit when he first went into QT. I was just wondering if these spots could be from fin growth or if it's ich returning in quarantine. The other 2 don't have any spots any where yet. I guess I just wait and if they stay than it might not be ich. All fish acting appropriately as of now.

leebca

Once we go through an agonizing bout with Marine Ich, we can suddenly see 'spots everywhere.'

Not all spots are evidence of MI. In fact, MI leaves 'holes' in the fish which can be prone to infection. So the spots can be a kind of pimple.

Watch the spots closely. If it's MI, they will proliferate and being infecting again. If a pimple or area inflammation, they will heal.

Watch water quality closely. These kinds of things can be brought on by a slip or two in water quality. Spikes in ammonia, nitrites, or the introduction of poisons often cause the same situation.

To be conservative, acquire a good antibiotic, like Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes and have it available should this prove to be an infection.

Also, very experienced people can tell the difference between a MI spot and a non-MI spot. If you can get clear, up close, hi-res photos of these spots, those with experience may be able to sort this out better.

:)

JRM

Thanks lee I'll keep watching. I know I did everything right. I even clean the suction tubing with bleach and soap between water changes. I'll let you know how it turns out. What do you think about me dropping the salinity to 1.019 or lower for the rest of the reamaining 3 weeks?

JRM

Also I have been battling in ammonia and nitite during qt. I have been keeping both below .25 with water changes, microbacter, Algone and biospira. Still tough with those 3 fish in 10 gallon.

leebca

It is this fluctuation in water quality that will/can cause infections and opportunistic microbes to gain a foot hold.

Lowering salinity would only complicate matters in trying to maintain water stability. Stability and quality is the goal here. Like you noted, it is harder when the fish are confined in that size QT. The lowering of salinity might be called for when the fish are injured or obviously highly stressed. Neither I think applies here and would therefore not warrant a change in salinity.

:)

JRM

One more thing lee,
My next two fish after I add the now healthy fish are going to be a yellow tang or powder blue and a flame angel. I want to do a 2 week cu treatment as a prophylactic treatment as these species are more susceptible to marine ich. I plan on following with a 4 week QT. Do u think this is a good idea?

leebca

You've either forgotten or haven't read what I write about this.

Clearly: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/27305-acclimation-i-know.html in the POST ACCLIMATION section indicates I support the prophylactic treatment of certain kinds of fishes for certain diseases/parasites. I believe that all Acanthurus family fishes should be given a treatment for Marine Ich and Marine Velvet (using copper since it is the only one that kills both).

The above reference is probably too obscure for most readers. :D

Beyond the recommendations given in the above link, I don't believe it is a good idea to treat any fish a prophylactic treatment. There are dozens of diseases and parasites and to attack just one is a bit narrow-minded. Better to wait and see if any treatment is needed.