Search results

1. J

Size of QT??

Alright, I know for sure now that my fish have black ich. I see my tang with the spots. So, I am setting up a QT. I have a small 5 gallon I can set up that a friend has. Will that be alright or do I need a bigger size. I only have a small yellow tang and a small clown.
  2. J

Sudden death in 2 fish

I haven't posted on here in a while. I moved my tank about 1 month ago. I have been checking my paremeters every 2 days and haven't had a shift in anything. Will post #'s later. However, about 1 week ago I lost my blue hippo tank and this morning I lost my blue-green chromis. They act completly...
  3. J

The mystery of the filter pad

So, I have been keeping a filter pad (polishing pad), one side blue and one side white..whatever that is...in the left chamber of my bakpak skimmer for a couple months. I change it out about every two weeks. So, I just looked at it two days ago and thought it was about time for a change because...
  4. J

What a morning

So, I keep my QT under my main. Well, this morning my 6 yr old son went under there to look at a fish book. No big deal, he usually turns on my lights for me. Well, apparently he somehow knocked the light into the water of my QT. I was in the office. About 10-15 min later I come around the...
  5. J

My first fish illness

I woke yesterday to find my clown sick or injured, I am not sure which. She has a small piece missing out of her tail. She was fine the night before so I am thinking it happened during the night. Well now she is just hanging in one corner and barley moving. Her color is fine and there are no...
  6. J

feeding the new favia

I have had two favia for about 1 1/2 weeks now. One is about 3 in wide while the other is a small frag. At first I had them at the top of my tank closer to the lights. The larger favia seemed to be fading so I moved it to the bottom. OK, at night the large one extends tentacles but I have never...
  7. J

Lazy new Red Fromia Star

I added a red Fromia Star on Sunday (17th). I don't know if he is just lazy or if he is still adjusting to his new home. I drip acclimated him for one hour. When I placed him on a rock he moved to another rock. Didn't move for hours after that. I moved him to the sand where there was alot of...
  8. J

increase in pH

Yesterday I done a 10% wc and today I was checking my parameters and my ph in 8.5-8.6 range. Over the last week the only change has been slowly increasing my salinty from 1.020-1.023. All other test came back fine. Should I do another wc today?
  9. J

Not happy with tank these days :(

I am just not happy with the look of my tank over the past couple of weeks. It is starting to look different and I don't know why. I already know my salinity is low for a reef. 1.020. I found that out already. but the rest of my numbers are fine. My tank is starting to be covered in "pollen'...
  10. J

Unidentified Pest

Alright, I have looked online but can't find what I need. I have found 3 pest in one of my zoas and now I see one crawling on my rock. It looks like a worm of some sort, but is covered in thorns?
  11. J

A few problems with the tank

OK, first my AC has been out in my home for about 3 weeks. So I think that is where my problems have began. I live in Arizona so it is hot during the day and cold at night. I had changed the lighting on my tank, keeping the lights on at night and off during the day. The glass was getting too...
  12. J

Nervous

On Thursday I am going out of town for one week. I am leaving my babies with the husband for the FIRST TIME!!!! I'm alittle nervous. I've made food ice cubes so it should be pretty easy. All he has to do is turn the lights on and off and empty the skimmer box, but still, anything could happen.
  13. J

Knots in Dori's stomach

So I have had my blue hippo for two weeks now and she is doing great. Today I notice it looks like she has knots in her stomach. She eats great and is swimming all over the place. I read a forum on here about worms and other intestinal parasites. I didn't treat her for those because I didn't...
  14. J

Marine Epoxy mess up

So I got a bottle of Marine Epoxy from Ace Hardware yesterday. It says it is alright for saltwater and freshwater. I read the directions on the back and the warnings. So, I glued 4 frags down and somehow caught the small writing on the bottom that says "not recommed for aqariums"! What have I...
  15. J

My new hippo tang and seaweed

I have had a hippo tang for one week today in my QT. She is small, not quite 2 inches. I have read a good bit on them and read they are shy and just chill mostly. Well, she does. Just hangs in one corner of the tank then hides behind the filter. I feed her brine shrimp. I try to feed her seaweed...
  16. J

Mr Coral online purchase

So I have made my first online saltwater purchase ever. It was from Mr Coral this past weekend during their big sale. It is on the FedEx truck right now on it's way to my house to be delivered. It was a 5 pk of zoas and polys. I am SO EXCITED and also alittle nervous. Just wanted to share.
  17. J

Need to buy a filter.?.

Here is my issue. My tank has been set up since the end of Oct. I haven't had a filter on it, only a skimmer. I do water changes about every 1 1/2 weeks but my tank just does not seem to stay clean and I am having problems with my phosphate levels. All of my other levels are fine. My sand looks...
  18. J

Need an algae ID-- PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am going crazy with the stuff in my tank. What is it and how do I get rid of it.
  19. J

frogspawn

I got a frogspawn yesterday at the LFS. It is my first coral. His color is getting alot nicer and he is starting to extend out. Well he will extend out then go back in. I read I need to have calcium in my water. I am going to get a test kit tomorrow for that and need to know a good source of...
  20. J

Snails????

I added a CUC to my 55 gallon on Sunday. 10 dwarf hermits and 10 Turbo snails (I think turbo anyway). So, my snails were moving around Sunday night. I haven't noticed too much movement from them since. I think they move alittle more at night then during the day (which is zero). Does it take them...