Unidentified Pest

jamielai

Alright, I have looked online but can't find what I need. I have found 3 pest in one of my zoas and now I see one crawling on my rock. It looks like a worm of some sort, but is covered in thorns?

ReefLady

Staff member
Sounds like a bristleworm, but these are not typically bad. Why do you refer to it as a "pest"? Is it causing visible damage to the zo's?

jamielai

Pest, bug. I didn't know what it was. It doesn't look like the pictures of bristleworms I have seen. It has spikes all over it's body.

Surfnut

I believe he is referring to a Zoa Nudibranch species. If you are seeing signs that these little buggers are irritating or even damaging the zoa's,.. you might want to consider a fresh water dip.

I'm sure other people here can give you better advice in regards to getting these pests out of your tank.

BigJay

just reread the first post. Was it 3 of them in one single polyp or 3 of them in a colony? Just trying to get an idea of size.

cbrownfish

I believe he is referring to a Zoa Nudibranch species. If you are seeing signs that these little buggers are irritating or even damaging the zoa's,.. you might want to consider a fresh water dip.

I'm sure other people here can give you better advice in regards to getting these pests out of your tank.

+1 for zoa eating nudibranchs. Like these?

PREDATOR - Nudibranch - Nudis!!

main.php

jamielai

when I noticed the "bug" on my zoa colony I took it and one other colony out and put them in a dip. 3 "bugs" fell off. They are a brownish, purple color. So, that was 3 down. Now I see one on my star polyp. I am thinking it might be that nudibranch. It does look sorta like the picture.

cbrownfish

If so, there is bad news. The Nudis lay eggs and the FW dip will not kill the egg cluster. Hence, 1-2 weeks from now you may have a new batch. QT'ing the speciman and additional dips are required to defeat this enemy.

jamielai

Is there something I can put in my tank to kill them? I am finding them on new colonies now. Do they just hide out in my tank? I am finding myself sitting in front of my tank with a pair of tweezers ready to pluck.

jamielai

Ok, I found the "white curly threads" which I thought was the eggs on one of my zoa's. I went to tweez it off and it was really hard. I couldn't pull it off.

cbrownfish

QT'ing the speciman and additional dips are required to defeat this enemy.

There is no quick fix for this one unfortunately. The eggs can be anywhere in the colony, including in cracks and crevices. You need to pull all the zoas and QT until you eradicate the pests.