Snails????

jamielai

I added a CUC to my 55 gallon on Sunday. 10 dwarf hermits and 10 Turbo snails (I think turbo anyway). So, my snails were moving around Sunday night. I haven't noticed too much movement from them since. I think they move alittle more at night then during the day (which is zero). Does it take them a couple days to get use to my tank? The hermits I can find are doing alright. They are all hiding inside my rocks.

ReefLady

Staff member
As long as they are still "stuck" to the rock, and you notice a little movement, they should be okay. How did you acclimate them?

jamielai

Well, I wasn't told they need to acclimate 1-2 hours. I let them float about 20 min. Then put alittle water in the bag, let them float about 10 min more, put some more water in the bag, float about 10 min more. Then dropped then in.

BLAKEJOHN

Unfortunatley they might be dieing. They need that 2+ hrs of drip acclimation or the salinity difference will literally explode thier cell structure and they slowly die.

ReefLady

Staff member
Like I said above, as long as they are able to adhere to the rock, and you notice some movement, they should be okay. If they fall off, or are on the sand not moving, that is a sign that things aren't well.

I'm in the process of placing an order with reefcleaners.org & after seeing this thread I checked on their recommended acclimation procdure. Here it is:

Acclimation (Snails & Hermit Crabs)

1. Float the bag in your tank to get the snail used to the temperature in your aquarium.

2. Wait 15 minutes.

3. Add contents to tank.

Important: Snails may go through shock during shipping, and be closed when they arrive. You should give them plenty of time to come out of their shells and move around before deciding they didn't make the trip. Ceriths may go dormant for up to 3 days.

You may find this to be different than the acclimation procedure you are used to carrying out. The reason we now ask our customers to use this procedure is because our snails and crabs live intertidally, and can handle drastic swings in ph/salinity without a problem. However, what they can't handle is toxic levels of ammonia. During the shipping process, ammonia levels in the shipping bags build, while the ph level goes down. As the ph goes down the toxicity of ammonia also goes down. However, when your tank water with normal ph is introduced to the shipping bags, and the ph rises, so does the toxicity of the ammonia, and you will be poisoning the livestock. Please don't do this. Any other method of acclimation voids the Alive Arrival Guarantee.

jamielai

I got my snails from the LFS so they were not shipped. And, I acclimated them that way. So, maybe they are just chilling out for a couple of days.

jamielai

I guess I should stop poking on them to see if they are still sticking to the rocks and just let them be. My crabs are doing alright.

OHreefer

Were the snails moving around in the tank when you got them at the LFS? I believe I purchased two dead Turbo snails and the person assisting me assured me they were alive. None of the snails were moving in the tank and they were all at the bottom of the tank. So I believe I purchased two dead Turbo snails, and I called and complained and they wouldn't exchange them. Needless to say, I'm never going back to that store. And this was after I had spent $1000 buying a tank and equipment. I visited one of the sister stores and bought 3 more, and floated them in the tank for 15 minutes, and then added a little water, then waited 10 or 15 minutes, and repeated that a few times. The sister store asked me to let them know when I visit next, and they'll give me credit. They acclimated well and are turbo-ing all over the tank :-D

jamielai

my original post was a few months ago so over the last couple months all but 3 of my snails died. They were never "movers" anyway, then just stopped all together. In just the last couple weeks 2 of my hermit crabs kicked 2 of my snails out of their shells and took up housing. So, I am down to 1 little snail.

johnmaloney

if they weren't shipped any regular acclimation would work. Thing with snails are they get lazy, they sit still and can be lethargic at times. Just the way they are. Give them time they will come around. In my tank I notice cycles of them working hard and then just laying out all over the sand bed for days doing nothing. I think they have finally unionized and have gotten their 5 day work week....when they return to work though they usually catch up.