Nervous

jamielai

On Thursday I am going out of town for one week. I am leaving my babies with the husband for the FIRST TIME!!!! I'm alittle nervous. I've made food ice cubes so it should be pretty easy. All he has to do is turn the lights on and off and empty the skimmer box, but still, anything could happen.

jgking21

Once I had to leave my tank with a new friend, I had just moved to a new city. She knew nothing about tanks, but with a little schooling on the equipment she did fine and watched it many more times. If you husband has watched you a little he should be good! Good Luck!

jgking21

Get one before you leave! I was messing with mine and forgot to replace the pegs, my friend wasn't checking the tank all the time and never realized the lights stayed on all weekend. Most of my corals were bleached but I was able to save them. Hopefully your husband would notice at mindnight that the lights on the tank are still on, but you never know. Also, make sure you have top off water for him!

kospaintball

lol your going to come home and the tank will be freshwater... "WHAT HAPPENED!" "awww i saw these awesome fish at petco... but the lady said my salinity was to high for them so i took that water out and put this in"

jamielai

Oh, I would die...don't say that. And he knows not to buy ANYTHING AT PETCO. I will do all of my testing the night before I leave to make sure my water levels are fine. I can tell my babies are begging me not to leave them. It is in their eyes.

Oh i know the feeling, My girlfriend takes care of my tank 3 days a week while Im gone for work. I think the most common mistake made by reef sitters is overfeeding, i know my girlfriend still does it :hammerhea so as long as he stays with your feeding schedule and doesn't get suckered by your fishes hungry eyes you should be ok.

I wouldnt get timmers for you tank unless you will be around long enough to make sure they work. On my old tank I bought new timers and they worked fine for the first day but on the second they tripped my GFI while I was away.

What I do have is a digital thermometer with alarms set for high and low temps and explicit instructions to my GF to call me if they ever go off.

Ive been thinking about getting a reefkeeper elite with net. So i could monitor my system from the internet while im away. Also thought about a hidden web cam for the tank to watch for my GF over feeding lol!

good luck

jamielai

That's funny. Kinda like a nanny cam. Well, about the overfeeding..I made ice cubes with the food. So that shouldn't be a problem, but I do have some little begging pigs.

kospaintball

lol ok ok so he might not switch it to fresh water... but i put my money on him adding a spearing mantis shrimp!!!

mettjl03

Oh, I would die...don't say that. And he knows not to buy ANYTHING AT PETCO. I will do all of my testing the night before I leave to make sure my water levels are fine. I can tell my babies are begging me not to leave them. It is in their eyes.

LMAO... Another Petco hater!! We must be related... :spinner: