Need an algae ID-- PLEASE HELP!!!!

jamielai

I am going crazy with the stuff in my tank. What is it and how do I get rid of it.

100_0686.jpg

100_0684.jpg

100_0685.jpg

jamielai

I tested my water:

Sal: 1.022
P.H.:8.2
amm:0
Nitrates: 10ish

I just done a 25% water change on Friday. I have had this growing for about 2-3 weeks now. Lights stay on about 10 hours a day.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Have you tested the phosphate level! Are you using RO/DI water for top off and WCs?

jamielai

my tank has been set up since Oct 29. I have only had my lights on for about 3weeks. Yes, I use RO/DI water. I get all of my water from my LFS. Yes, I have a protien skimmer. I have a CPR bak-pak and empty the cup about every other day.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
This is still a relatively new setup and Diatom blooms are quite common in young tanks, did you cure the LR in the tank ?

jamielai

The LFS set my tank up for me the end of Oct. They brought the rock also. That was the only thing in the tank until the beginning of Jan. when I added my first fish.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well it appears they cured the rock in the tank so I'm sure there's still some dissolved organics coming from any left over dead material and it's feeding the algae bloom. The algae will eventually go away just continue with the skimming and regular water changes and keep the bio-load low.

lcstorc

It may also have soemthing to do with the Copper Safe though that is a complete guess.

jamielai

I test for copper everyday and the test always says zero. I put it in that one time. Then done a few water changes back to back and hung a carbon bags in for a couple weeks.

jamielai

I put some snails in to clean (since my copper test has been saying 0) and the ones around the "bloom" aren't doing good at all. But the ones on the right side of the tank are fine.

jamielai

should I use a turkey baster to get out some of the algae? I am going to the store in a bit to get a phosphate test. Will post the outcome later.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Antime you can remove algae, do so! A good time is when you do water changes. Just vacuum it off the rocks as your siphoning out the water. Use 1/2' tubing.

jamielai

I just finished my phosphate test. It was 5.0 ppm. It could have been alittle darker than that. I am still new at doing these test. I just done a large water change. I don't think the water changes are helping the algae. This too could be why my snails are dying. I am worried because I put a frogspawn in. What is a good phospate removal? Should I turn my lights off for a few days to cut down on the algae problem?

Last edited:

framerguy

Yes they are good and will help a lot. They are a bandaide though. Your LFS water doesn't seem to be what it is cracked up to be. Their filters may be a little old. Are you feeding? How much? Cerith snails would be a good addition if you don't have any.

lcstorc

Test the new water before you do a water change. That is a lot of phosphate and you really need to find the source or you will continue fighting the algae.

jamielai

I think I may be feeding WAY TOO MUCH. I only had one fish until I just added my two little clowns. When I just had the one I was still feeding him everyday.

lcstorc

That is certainly part of the problem then.
I am glad your snails are doing well. That gives some hope on the copper situation since inverts are particularly sensitive.

jamielai

well, a few of my snails have died and the others are slow going. But, all of my hermits are doing very well. How many times a week should I be feeding my 3 little fish. If I stop feeding every day should my phosphates start going down?