feeding the new favia

jamielai

I have had two favia for about 1 1/2 weeks now. One is about 3 in wide while the other is a small frag. At first I had them at the top of my tank closer to the lights. The larger favia seemed to be fading so I moved it to the bottom. OK, at night the large one extends tentacles but I have never seen the small one to that. I try to use my target feeder with cyclopeeze and squirt it into the tentacles. I turn off my powerheads to keep the water calm. I can't tell if it eats or not. I have read and read about them but just can't find much on feeding. Anything will help. Thanks

seafansar

If it has its tentacles out, it's hungry. It probably ate some of the cyclopeze; that's a good food for them. You could also try brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. They will put their tentacles out at night sometimes and when they sense food in the water. You can feed them to make them grow quicker, but they do just fine if you don't feed them. Just depends on how quickly you want them to grow and how much time you have to spend target feeding them.

twoclowns

Most favias have very sticky feeder tentacles so as long as you aren't blasting it with a very strong stream then it should be taking in the cyclopesee. Mine grab food from the water column but I also target feed them and they grab it and bring it into there mouths. Like the above person said mysis and brine will be take happily too.

jamielai

I tried to target feed alittle brine shrimp yesterday during the daytime hours. It had a few tentacles out. It didn't take the shrimp in though. Maybe I will try that at night. Thanks for the info.

twoclowns

Some favias take a really long time before the eat my Christmas favia didn't even put out its tentacles for about 6 months, now it opens every night, just needed time to acclimate to captivity. Don't get discouraged.