My new hippo tang and seaweed

jamielai

I have had a hippo tang for one week today in my QT. She is small, not quite 2 inches. I have read a good bit on them and read they are shy and just chill mostly. Well, she does. Just hangs in one corner of the tank then hides behind the filter. I feed her brine shrimp. I try to feed her seaweed every other day but she doesn't go around it. She needs this, right? Will she like it more the older she gets? What does everyone else's blue hippos eat?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Hippos, although shy, are typically active and fast swimming. Macroalgae is a big part of their diet, but they are omnivores and will eat a variety of foods. Your Hippo may not feel comfortable approaching the Nori just yet, but keep putting it in the same spot everyday and leave it there for a couple of hours. Once he/she feels comfortable in its new surroundings, it will start exlploring for food.

mettjl03

I have a hippo tang too. Try hanging the food in a clip where she likes to hang out and leave the room. It may or may not nibble on it. As long as its eating, I wouldn't worry to much. If the color starts to fade try using an additive that contains multi-vitamins. I really like Fish Solutions. Good luck...

jamielai

Thanks for the advice. She has started to nibble just alittle on the seaweed. But she really is a lazy fish. I worry something is wrong. She is eating fine but just sits on the bottom of my tank in the corner or sits behind the fiter on a rest and props on the side of the tank. It has been 8 days now in the QT. Sometimes the bottom of her belly is really faded other times her color is really bright and beautiful.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Hippos are schooling fish as juveniles. Because she is alone in the QT, I assume, she just doesn't feel comfortable enough to come out of hiding. After QT, when you put her in the display with other fish, she will feel more comfortable. Monkey see, monkey do!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks, glad to hear she is probally just sad and lonely.

I wouldn't say she is sad and lonely, those are human terms. She is following her instincts that tell her there's safety in numbers. Instincts that have developed over thousands of years in a not so friendly ocean. One of her most basic instincts is to survive. So hiding is her survival mechanism.

razorvines

Hippos are schooling fish as juveniles. Because she is alone in the QT, I assume, she just doesn't feel comfortable enough to come out of hiding. After QT, when you put her in the display with other fish, she will feel more comfortable. Monkey see, monkey do!

Yeah our Blue Hippo is all over the place. We couldn't get it to eat Nori off the clip though until we put in the Yellow tang. The moment that Nori hit the water the yellow tang was all over it. Then yep monkey see, monkey do it was!
Now it looks like the two of them are playing twister trying to get to the Nori at the same time.