Search results

1. rmlevasseur

RO/DI water/TDS question

woa - 40 TDS after DI? That would be considered by most to be way too high. If my product water tested 40 TDS, I'd consider not using the RODI at all.
  2. rmlevasseur

raw shrimp as food?

If you have a supermarket that offers fresh seafood, then all of it makes a superior food for your fish. However, some stores, like a Walmart, offer fresh seafood that is actually preserved with a phosphate. You should try to avoid this if possible.
  3. rmlevasseur

Buying New Lights

I have 4 systems, Solaris (LED), Outer Orbit MH/T5, Belize Sun MH/T5, and a T5 on the fuge. The LEDs savings and lesser heat cannot be denied, especially when you figure in bulb replacement. But I by far and away prefer my MH systems. The pop I get from the Phoenix 14k coupled with the...
  4. rmlevasseur

So, what do you do for a living??

Litigation attorney. If it can be argued, I've argued it.
  5. rmlevasseur

Can I Breed Carpet Anemone

Most carpets do not divide like BTA and will release eggs or sperm. To the best of my knowldge no one is successfully "breeding" them. It is believed that some female carpets can become impregnanted and will release tiny but fully formed babies. These are not clones as they are a mixture of...
  6. rmlevasseur

WTB Lifereef sump/refugium/skimmer setup

I actually do have a Lifereef sump and canister system that is sitting in my garage. It fit under my 180, but when I added three more tanks I had a new sump custom made to fit a much bigger skimmer. I live in MN, and shipping might be a pain, but if you are interested shoot me a PM.
  7. rmlevasseur

Phosphate reduction

If you feed, you are always going to introduce phosphate. It is a nutrient essential to life. Unfortunately, life only needs so much, lol. Best way to reduce is to wash/rinse all food. Running chaeto or alage scrubber is a highly efficient and cheap way to use up the phosphate, and running...
  8. rmlevasseur

10 for $100 SPS frag pack

I see this is a 2007 thread. Is this guy still selling? How has everyone's frags done?
  9. rmlevasseur

It's ELECTRIC!

boogie woogie woogie (anyone under 40 prolly doesn't get this)
  10. rmlevasseur

new bta...

Tank stability and strong lighting is what nems need the most. Sounds like you are off to a good start. I have found that my nems respond best when the salinity is 1.026. I'm not sure what "dried shrimp" is. Freeze dried? I've never fed my animals freeze dried stuff, but I find my nems have...
  11. rmlevasseur

my nem is on his way back!

Mysis is good too. However, sick nems don't always have the best feeding response. IMO fleshier foods are better at triggering it until the nem gets healthy, but only pea-sized pieces.
  12. rmlevasseur

best lights for the buck

Even so, Chip is right. This question is terribly subjective. "Best" in terms of price,color, longevity? If you are looking for pure value, I've hear the plusrites on ebay are getting very good reviews. Otherwise, Phoenix and Radium are considered very highly. The best thing to do is decide...
  13. rmlevasseur

MARCO Rock...

I love Marco. However, I have noticed that my last purchase may be a little phosphate laden. I'd suggest muriatic and bleach soaks for a while before putting in your tank.
  14. rmlevasseur

my nem is on his way back!

BTA's are pretty tough. If they are bleached, small feedings with enriched food can help a lot. Feed a pea size every 4-5 days, fresh mussel, shrimp, fish, etc.
  15. rmlevasseur

which kelvin is better for nems?

My gig is under 250 watt 10k halide with t5 actinics. I've had him since about April and he's done great. With 150 watters I'd definitely stick with 10k.
  16. rmlevasseur

best online fish store????

I was going to buy 20 turbos that were on sale at Reef Hot Spot, but they tacked on a minimum order fee AND a box fee, not to mention $30 in shipping. I promptly cancelled. That stuff PISSES me off.
  17. rmlevasseur

dry live rock or just live rock

As most know I'm a huge fan of Marco dry rock. My 70 is entirely Marco and my 180 is about half marco, but in retropsect I wish I had done over 2/3 Marco. In fact, I love Marco so much I bought 2 boxes of their signature rock just to have for future use. I posted this on another thread...
  18. rmlevasseur

Female Clarkii trying to adopt a Flower Anemone as a host

I'm not sure what anyone can tell you other than what you probably already know. This is not considered a hosting nem, and it can eat fish and small inverts. Nevertheless, those Clarkii's are pretty adept at adaptation (is that redunandant, lol). My guess is that they will be just fine.
  19. rmlevasseur

Lost receipe

No recipe is needed really. I buy fresh shrimp, scallop, squid, fish --whatever. I then freeze it but not solid. If tends to stay in particles better if you grind it while still a little frozen. Add some nori, selcon, vitamins if you like. Once processed, I spread it over eggcrate, cover...
  20. rmlevasseur

60 Gallon Cube~

Re: Help me decide! You do so well with nems doni, I gotta say magnifica time.