60 Gallon Cube~

lcstorc

Re: Help me decide!

Seahorses are about the only thing you haven't done so that gets my vote.
You have plenty of clowns to watch and with all of the feeding you do adding seahorses to the mix would be super easy.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(I merged the two threads)

Wow! I think this is the longest a tank has set dry in my house :eek:
It still is not filled with water and now doing it will have to wait another week since I am going on vacation.

Thanks for all of the suggestions... I think I know what I will put in it. I would like two pair of seahorses. A yellow pair now and later a red pair when they become available.

Lynn, I did have a pony tank before, remember? I will raise the babies this time so it will be fun and exciting for me :)

stonedfish

If you can cut a door into the side it would be helpful. I have a 60 cube and I have a hard time working under there. I would go with medium flow, and a heap of cool LPS corals. I am using 8 T5s at the moment and i like it. Cool purchase!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks for the tip!

Since I have a mixed reef tank already, I was thinking maybe lots of macro algae for this...

I was just looking at return pumps. What are you using?
I am thinking an ocean runner 3500 if I go with seahorses.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Well, yesterday I received a pair of A. Latezonatus clowns :) I have decided to put those in the 60 cube.

Yellow seahorses were a VERY close second!

SeahorseBT

Darn! I thought we had you convinced! Latz's are pretty nice though. I guess you had a good reason. I still would have done SH's! Any pics of the Latz's?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Blake, it was a very tough decision!

Once my latezonatus clowns are released from the quarantine tank and placed back into the 60 cube, I will take more photos.

Here are a few photos that are over 1 month old. The latezonatas in the quarantine tank:

9-16-09 (over 1 month ago)
2009091629galQT4.jpg

2009091629galQT.jpg

2009091629galQT8.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I installed a Tunze 2010 skimmer on it this weekend. Very compact skimmer that appears to work very well!
This is 2.5 days worth of skimming... on a tank that I considered 'very clean' since there are no fish and I do not feed the tank. :eek:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Doc. I am now contemplating putting my favorite pair of Snowcassos in it instead of the Latezonatus clowns.... I could put the latz in a 40 gallon breeder or a 100 gallon rubbermaid sump.
The eight week fallow period ends November 9th so I have a few more days to decide.

DrHank

Tough decision on that one Doni. Afraid I can't be of much help there. All I can say is if the Snowcassos seem to be happy where they are, I probably wouldn't move them. Just because you love the 60 cube doesn't mean they will.

Guess I just have the if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality. So far it's worked great in my 200.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Well, I decided to put one of my favorite pairs of Snowcassos in the cube. The latz will go into a 40 gal breeder or maybe a 100 gallon sump.

The 60 gallon cube completed a 9 week fallow period after removing the latz and I have added the Snowcassos.

Some of the rock was 'cooked' in a darkened saltwater vat for 8-9 weeks so it is very 'clean'.

Here are a few photos from this morning.

I replaced the 150 MH with a Hamilton Belize 250 watt DE. Although the RBTA's were just fine with the 150 watt, the purple H. crispa I moved from my 120 gallon reef demands stronger lighting.

I am only using the 250 watt DE and the moon lights now. With the 14 k Hamilton bulb, using the additional T5 actinics is not needed. The 14k MH has a nice blue hue to it.

Hamilton Belize 250 watt DS MH, two moon lights, two T5's.
20091114addedfish16.jpg

Front
20091114addedfish21.jpg

Left side
20091114addedfish13.jpg

Right side
20091114addedfish12.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The Snowcassos went straight to the anemone!

20091114addedfish17.jpg

I just love their patterns and coloration!
20091114addedfish11.jpg

20091114addedfish7.jpg