It's ELECTRIC!

PootyTang

So I've been looking around the internet, and I came across something I had never seen before. I've seen some posts about them, so I know people know what they are, but I wanted to ask about Electric Flame Scallops. I have a 1.5 year old 125 gallon tank. The params are good, salt at 1.025, alkalinity at 3.2, calcium at 400, nitrate at 5-10, nitrite, ammonia and phosphates all at 0.
I've read that the flame scallops are tough to keep, but are we talking about difficult or actually can't be done? My tank gets marine snow 2 times/week, I feed brine, cyclops, mysis (high protein and non), nori and frozen angelfish food.
What do you guys think about me trying on in the 125?

reef dummy

Nearly impossible to keep long term. A few folks on here have had them for about a few months only. Neat looking though, I like them but don't want to zap my tank if one goes on me. Remember, it can move around and if it gets stuck somewhere and dies and you can't get it out it could crash your tank.

DaveK

I also recommend that you avoid a flame scallop. As pointed out, they are almost impossible to keep.

This is the kind of animal that if your going to attempt to keep them, you should dedicate a system to the task.

Jeremy0322

or hasn't been to a wedding...:)

yea, I was going to say, I am 20 and knew exactly what was going on haha

As for the scallop, if you keep it you will kill it 99.9% of the time within about 6 months, they just dont do aquariums very well. Leave it in the ocean, its whats best for all parties involved.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had one for a lil over a year in one of my tanks. I was VERY lucky to say the least. they don't "pollute" the tank when they expire like some other animals do.

I say leave them at the LFS and eventually once they quit selling they'll quit buying them and the rest will be left in the OCEAN :)

i have had 2 for a long time now... 1 for almost 2 years and 1 for 1.5 years, its funny because i didnt know they were hard to keep until now, if i would have known before i would have never bought them in the 1st place. to be honest i dont really do anything for them, they have survived varios disasters and tank transfers, lol i feel lucky i must have some of the hardy ones, they are the electric type but they dont really electrify urself, you just see some color and lights on the lips, like a thunder bolt storm, a very cool effect, they are very cool animals but indeed if they are hard to keep people should get informed, starting with myself :p :smack:

D3monic

I have had mine for about 7 months now. It even survived the disaster friday night. Every few weeks it will go on a walk about finding a new spot. Its been in this one for about 2 months.

r2d2

I have 1 since 5 months ago now and no problem at all. I really dont do anything special for her and it seems in good color and always open, unless scared.
Didnt knew anything about hard to keep.
Greetings

wonderloss

I just got a couple of flame scallops for a birthday gift. For you guys that have had longer-term success with them, what do you feed your tank?

bwhit1406

Mine lasted 6 months. Didn't even know that it died because it had gotten in behind some rock. Didn't have any effect on my tank

i have fed almost everything there is out there and nothin for some time also... they are filter feeders so if i understand correctly the filter bad stuff? even though i think it would be good to feed some phyto and/or rotifers or something... i use reef nutrition when i get my hands on some... and also coral frenzy food (just for corals) + fish food...