which kelvin is better for nems?

golf8hdcp

ok guys quick question.. I have 3 x150 watt hqi with 4x 94 watt pc actinic supplement.

Which kelvin is best for nems 20 k or 14k? The tank is 24" deep.

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The best I can do is give you a general idea of what each one gives off..

In a very general sensus (all other factors being equal and in a generic setting) the higher the kelvin the lower the PAR. It's generally accepted that bulbs in the 10K range give the best growth but also have a more yellow appearance. With the bulbs you've mentioned I would guestimate that the 14K would produce more photosynthesis within the animal.

Keep in mind it really depends on the animal itself and odds are you may not even be able to tell much of a difference between those two with all other things being equal.

Good luck and FORRREEE!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As a general rule yes that's true. Some brands of bulbs are "bluer" than others and some pack a LOT more PAR than others.

marineflake

That a carpet nem? Sorry, kind of a small photo for someone who knows that getting old means losing some of that detailed eye sight ; )

rmlevasseur

My gig is under 250 watt 10k halide with t5 actinics. I've had him since about April and he's done great. With 150 watters I'd definitely stick with 10k.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My gig is under 250 watt 10k halide with t5 actinics. I've had him since about April and he's done great. With 150 watters I'd definitely stick with 10k.

Very good point Robert. That does boost the curve in your favor with 150's.