So What's The Deal With These LEDs?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Guys ! We see lots of questions about LEDs & sure to see more... added sticky.
009.gif

quonnie

Great article. This should be a sticky. I agree with you on the price point it will continue to keep moving and the lights will continue to get better.

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks for the Sticky Glenn :D

Jason, that's great to hear they're willing to stand behind their product. Just because it's from China doesn't mean it's constructed poorly. I'm planning on setting up a clownfish tank for my living room and if I go with a 29 then I'm definitely going to order one. It'll be nice to see the quality of it, as well as take a look at the nitty gritty of the electronics.

Thanks for all the input everyone, feel free to keep the discussion going :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The LEDs NanoBox is using are Philips Lumilux Rebel ES which are everybit as efficient as Cree’s XP series, although they are not yet well known.

interesting quote ^ ...

Seems there has been a real up tick in LEDs ... and more & more tanks running them...

yankieman

correct me if im wrong,,,,,,,,,, but im pretty sure congress passed new laws a few years back that by 2013 all incandesent lighting was to be fazed out and replaced , if you notice christmas lights are getting close to being all LEDs in 2 years thats all you will get so it dosnt suprise me that LEDs have exploded onto the market they was sorta required to do so by law and when it comes to price your paying for the technology not cost to create them , not to many years ago BEFORE the new laws LEDS was dirt cheep,,

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
correct me if im wrong,,,,,,,,,, but im pretty sure congress passed new laws a few years back that by 2013 all incandesent lighting was to be fazed out and replaced ,

Not exactly. I believe that's the ultimate goal but that's not exactly how it's worded... (yet). Many other countries have gone that far but as of right now it's not quite that far yet..

Although the United States is not phasing out incandescent light bulbs, it has set minimum efficiency standards for lighting which preclude most legacy incandescent designs; these minimum standards phase in between 2012 and 2014

I think you can find the technical wording of it listed at
Bill Summary & Status - 110th Congress (2007 - 2008) - H.R.6 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I don't think that "Legislation" is driving the price of LED. The LED from a few years ago are what we're using for MOON lights right now. LED technology is taking off at the speed of light right now. Since it's a HOT item the technology is growing almost daily. It's still the fact that High Output LED's are VERY new and it really comes down to supply and demand. He who has the supply demands the price. As the technology becomes mainstream and supply chains become more adequate the prices will come down (they already are).

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard

yankieman

well I definatly see the advantages in going with LEDs , and this article has definatly decided me in going with an LED light over gettng the pendant MH I was going to get ,,,,, but just one question this price and demand thing has me confused is it like how gas prices go up as the demand goes down and supply goes up? LMAO I know bad example but I couldnt resist,,

yankieman

this is the info I found and it does sound like they are totaly taking incandecents out by 2013,,,,,,,,

By Jason Knott
February 21, 2008
The recently passed federal Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 may have created more questions than solutions for both integrators and manufacturers regarding lighting control systems.

The law, which was passed in December, calls for the elimination of inefficient light bulbs, such as today's common 40W to 100W incandescents, by the year 2012.

The extinction of the incandescent will require homeowners to switch to other energy-efficient light sources for their fixtures, such as LEDS, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or certain types of halogens.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Duke Power was offering CFLs for free - they sent me a big box of 30 of various sizes - nice deal, and I've been replacing my incandescents as they burn out.

yankieman

wow good deal I have been replacing mine too just a few left to replace ,,been replacing lot of my christmas lights with LEDs too I do like the look of LEDs

PIMPALA

LEDs are a long way from replacing CFs and regular florescent bulbs in home and professional use. a long, long long way. also, there are no current replacements for super high wattage MH lighting, like what is used in large arenas, stadiums, buildings with 40ft+ ceilings, and outdoor areas.