So What's The Deal With These LEDs?

jpsika08

James, you made me ROTFLMAO!!! Why does the guy instead of videoing he should be running doing something more constructive to save the fish LOL

Jackalope

tooooo much marijuana imo. lol i just noticed why it busted though. they put the seems backwards. just shows how some people shouldnt be doing this stuff lol.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's a "Gand Slam" if you're looking for an LED to push PAR into those DEEP tanks (or if you want to recreate a Solar Event :LOL: )

Blue Moon Aquatics P100 LED | Reefs.com
Capture2.jpg

PIMPALA

IMO, just white and blue LEDs arent enough spectrum.

I also dont think adding red and green LEDs is the answer.

So I added VHOs for supplement to my LEDs. Was going to do T5... but got a used VHO setup for basically nothing, with brand new bulbs. My corals LOVE the VHO addition!!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Blue & Purple are pretty much the same in respect to what Jason is saying.

With that being said, Jason what do you think is missing in the current LED lineup?

PIMPALA

Honestly? I'm not really sure. That's why I'm trying as many different things as I can, giving the animals months to adapt to the changes, then seeing how they react and grow.

All i know right now, is that an added actinic white, and an actinic blue VHO bulb totally changed my tank for the better after running only white and blue LEDs for so long.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You know I think it's Maxspect that's adding lots of other "Colors" into their array.

So are you talking about how your tank looks to your eyes or how the tank looks from a coral growth and health standpoint?

reefer gladness

I think this is a pretty good read discussing LED light spectrums.

- Marine Engineers

It fits in pretty well with a lot of the conclusions I've drawn since completing my LED build. If we look at the spectrum covered using cool white and royal blue LED's there are some noticable gaps in the green and red spectrum.

Similarly, my post-build conclusion was that using a ratio of neutral and cool white LED's would help fill out the spectrum and produce good PAR results. I also like the authors 3:1 ratio of white to blue although my post-build conclusion was a 2:1 ratio would be good to achieve a good 14k look.

The 'turquoise' LED's sound interesting too as a possible replacement for green LED's and of course he rounds it off by including some 420 nm true violet LED's.

One thing is for sure, the number of LED's being placed on the heatsinks would definitely increase by filling out the spectrum and the driver/controller configuration becomes more complex with 4-5 channels to adjust.

StirCrayzy

Good info deserves revival!
:bump:
im re-researching DIY LEDs, one thing there isnt much talk about is bulb placement locations on a heat sink vs tank coverage at typical tank depths.

Good read above Sean!

PIMPALA

After over two years running different types of LEDs, I'm back to MH, and couldn't be more happy.