Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

Jason25

These are so cool, I can't wait for mine to arrive. Al, did you happen to strap a rocket to that pack mule? LOL.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: I put an EXTRA large CARROT hanging from a ROD in front of his face. That should get it there by MARCH!! Just kidding.. hopefully with all the Holiday RUSH behind them, the USPS will get your package up there quickly.

How's the SUMP?

Rogue97gtp

I watched Mike Rowe making making those on Dirty Jobs. How much does one cost!? Wouldnt mind having one in my tank after I get it going!

mps9506

Hey Mike.. they are so cheap I don't know if it's worth the time to mix up the mix to make one myself. Plus it's pretty cool having a "model" of the ones that are being used all over the world to help rebuild the natural reefs.

CNN was at the factory last week and did a bunch of taping of the process. They are supposed to air the show in January. Once I know the date I'll post it back.

There are two LFS's here that are now going to be carrying these for local reefers.

Here's a pic of some reef balls and reef cakes after a short time in the reef. Notice the corals starting to take over and encrust on the surface.

(These are FULL size Reef Balls & Cakes)
http://www.reefball.org/newfrontpage/smallsizes.jpg

Didn't realize they were that inexpensive.
It would be really cool if we could plant these in the ocean for a few years and then transplant them to our reef tanks...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Got mine today AL, looks great, will take pics when I put it in the tank.
That quick? I'm thoroughly surprised (pleasantly) with that. Can't wait to see the pics :)

Didn't realize they were that inexpensive.
It would be really cool if we could plant these in the ocean for a few years and then transplant them to our reef tanks...
Man that would be SWEET! Love to get some into the ocean and then after they are "natually" colonized transplant into our tanks. Unfortunately living so HIGH up here in the Blue Ridge Mountains (under snow right now) that's hard to do. But in a few months with some "attention" I believe that's what they will look like. I'm going to get some zoas started on one VERY soon and will probably do a GSP one for fun as well. :)

Jason25

Here are the pics of the reef ball in my tank AL, thanks again.

100_0755.jpg

100_0754.jpg

100_0752.jpg

Jason25

Medium, although rumor has it that Al's "Reef Ball's" are alot smaller,lol. Love ya big guy.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:lol: I knew this would eventually happen!!

Thanks for the pic Jason. Can't wait to see that thing with corals covering it. I'm gonna try to get some of mine covered with zoas and I'm thinking of one that's a GSP ball. Worth a try!!

Again thanks for the pics! Matt, you should have some "balls" shortly. I'm waiting for a call-back right now. I'll keep you posted :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Matt I have your order pending. Waiting on one other guy to confirm and I'll let you know the moment I hear. I didn't forget about ya.

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am now attempting to see how a small mat of GSP's and a couple of Zoas will do on one of the small Reef Balls. Should look pretty cool when it grows out. I'll post pics when I can.

BarbMazz

Al, am I too late to get in on some balls? I'd love a cake, one small, and one medium ball.

Do you think one of these would be good for a refugium If so I may change what I'd like.