Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

BarbMazz

barb, one ball is always a tad larger,,,and no 2 are identical~

Hmmm, maybe I should set up a poll.....

Should Wit be Banned, yes or no.

Can staff Ban themselves? SHOULD staff Ban themselves?

Great philosophical questions, all.

Witfull

if i banned myself,i would only watch TV, so it wouldnt be a true punishment only lack of one addiction feeding the other~

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al, am I too late to get in on some balls? I'd love a cake, one small, and one medium ball.

Do you think one of these would be good for a refugium If so I may change what I'd like.

Oh it's never too late. I can order at any time you like.

Is your refugium going to be a "visible" one in that you want people looking in it? If so there's no reason why it wouldn't work. It's entirely up to you.

I'll shoot you over a PM in a few moments with the details.

Wit is a HOOT!

BarbMazz

Oh it's never too late. I can order at any time you like.

Is your refugium going to be a "visible" one in that you want people looking in it? If so there's no reason why it wouldn't work. It's entirely up to you.

I'll shoot you over a PM in a few moments with the details.

Wit is a HOOT!

Thanks, Al... The fuge will be visible only to me, but I thought it would look cool in there, and maybe provide space for some critters to grow and hang around on

Wit IS a hoot :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have some in my tanks now. But the "Cure" is short and simple and would fall under the same problems as "Live Rock". You'd still have some die-off and the expedited freight is just short of rape on your wallet. These can be shipped dry on "Pack-Mule" as someone said previously!! :D

But I do have some "Soaking" now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As of right now all orders are either delivered or In-Transit!! Can't wait to hear back from yall on these!!

:)

Jason25

My serpent start has made this his new home, Al, when I move and get my tank rescaped I will post some better pictures. BTW the pack mule is on his way home!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My serpent start has made this his new home, Al, when I move and get my tank rescaped I will post some better pictures. BTW the pack mule is on his way home!

That's good news buddy. When did you get it INTO your tank? If you would, test your water and note the results. I can't test ANY change in PH at all in mine and it's only a 10g tank. The engineer at the plant stated

The binding of calcuim hydroxide also keeps the concrete from increasing the water PH too much. Do note that as concrete is a limestone product, there will be some buffering in your tank, especially during the first few months so you may need to reduce the amount of pH raising buffers you normally use to offset the biological processes in your tank.

with that said I honestly can't detect ANY PH increase at all but I know all tanks are indeed not identical so one tank may see a slight increase.

That Pack-Mule has been VERY busy over the last three weeks. I've had him from ONE end of the country to the other sending these things out. And he's still on is FIRST carrot! It's supposed to be snow & ice here tonight so I hope my delivery Pack-Mule has his "Ice Shoes" on.

Thanks for the update Jason. I do appreciate you.

:)

Rogue97gtp

Mine is now soaking in a bucket of FW. Thanks Alan! Looking forward to putting it in the tank once I get all of my equipment!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the update Brandon! I have some in 3 different tanks and can't wait to see them mature. Keep us posted and don't be shy with the camera once you get it into the tank. :)

Rogue97gtp

Trust me man. I definitely wont! It will be the center piece in the tank once everything is set up and running. Will take pics as soon as I have the LR in and everything set up as the tank cycles.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've tested my water tonight in all of my tanks just curious about the "PH Rise" potential of these Masonry balls & cakes. It's been 3 weeks for one of the tanks, 2 weeks for the other two and I honestly can't detect ANY rise in the PH even in the smallest tank (only 6g before Sand & rock). I have to say that I don't see effect at all on PH with a reef ball. It just gets better and better :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just spoke with the plant manager yesterday and they are shipping 2 BARGES FULL of these from Florida to The Dominican Republic. They will re-establish the reefs from the recent hurricanes that went through there and wiped out the foundation/infrastructure. The Reef Balls and Reef Cakes will give shelter and structure for new animals to breed in and coral to attach to.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with you on that note! It's awesome that they are really "Doing" something other than "lip-service" about it. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is a pic of one of the Reef Balls with it's first colony of Zoas. This is the "Starting Point"

2/4/2008
Reef_Ball_Zoa.jpg