Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

jg2269jg

Hey i was wondering if you could pm me with prices for the balls and cakes i am going to be starting a new reef in the near future and i saw that discovery channel show with them and thought that is so cool. I dont know if you have said this already and i missed it but thanks again Jeff

Wolfgang8810

I drove by the place that makes them today. Ill get pictures next time. They are making 3 large scale reefs off the coast of venice :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks WG! I would like to see those pics!!

They are going to be on TV again in a few weeks!! I'll keep everyone posted!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here are some pics of my Reef Ball Occupied (same pics as in my chronicle)
IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

and here is Julie's "small" with Zoas on it.
Reef_Ball_Zoa.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How did I miss this thread? :dunno:

Can they be made with larger holes? Tang size?

:LOL: Doni I have no idea! But the thought of YOU missing a thread (especially one of MINE) cracks me up! It's not like it's a NEW thread!! :)

I don't know. I'll leave a message with the plant Manager right now and see. How TALL of a hole do you need in one?

Over where you left me the note I think you could use them under something but you can't use them AS the support. They aren't designed to carry any load other than a smaller reef ball and some additional corals. If the things you wanted to put over the Reef Ball were "self supporting" you'd be good to go. Otherwise I wouldn't attempt it :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
HEy Doni! I got word back from the factory. They can't make the existing ball's holes bigger (current mold wont allow for it) but they do have a larger version called

"oyster ball"

if the tank is large enough.....we have a ball that has bigger holes....its 9" tall 17" wide...weighs about 40 lbs

What do you think?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's the beginning of a Reef Ball/Zoa garden. A locel reefer did this to one of his Reef Balls. Can't wait to watch it grow in.

ReefBall_Zoa.png

JWarren

I bet that will look really nice all covered in zoas!

Are you making these Al or are you getting them somewhere else?

PM me some details if you get time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm "Getting" them bro!! and using them in all of my tanks as well. I'll shoot you a PM shortly :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Was playing around tonight (crashed my helicopter and was bored) and decided to work on some Reef Balls

Medium Reef Ball with frags attached (front & back shots)
IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

and here is my Small Reef Ball with just a couple of individual Zoas glued to it.
IMG_4306.jpg

I hope to add more to other reef balls soon.

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks John. I think so too! I may do some more tonight! I'm going to order some more Reef Balls to experiment with doing some other things. I'm thinking one small one with Yellow Long Tentacle Palys would look SWEET!!!

Thanks for looking.