Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here are a couple of pics of each. I am going to get at least one of each for my 90g tank and maybe more. These are exact miniature reproductions of the ones they are placing in the reefs around the world to replace what storms and wrecked ships have damaged. Ranging in size from 2" tall up to upwards of 10". They are concrete but they have a lifetime "barrier" applied so they don't leach anything into the water. These were shown recently on the Discovery Channel and I was lucky enough to locate a few.

Reef Cakes & Reef Balls
ReefBalls2.jpg

thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

:)

Jason25

Ok Al, give up the goods shoot me pm with where you found them please, I would love to have 1.

goldenmean

I remember talking about those when it was on the discovery channel.
I really like the layer cakes. They will look great after corals start growing on it. It will be a slow process - just the way you like it!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Hum...Life-time barrier, what is that? If they are putting these in the ocean why would they worry about anything leaching out. I highly question a "life-time barrier". It won't take long for something to bore a hole through a "life-time barrier". Great shapes though.:D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I remember talking about those when it was on the discovery channel.
I really like the layer cakes. They will look great after corals start growing on it. It will be a slow process - just the way you like it!
:LOL: Isn't that the truth.

Scott I asked this same question and his reply was something a kin to "We don't want to leach anything into any body of water... an aquarium or a sensitive lagoon."

Actually I worded it wrong.. it's not something that's sprayed onto it but something that's mixed in with the mixture that "binds" it all together and creates an inert material. I need to look through my notes to see what exactly it is. I'll try to do that tonight.

ScubaDrew

Alright Al.... don't make us use the firecoral... where did you find em! :smirk:

These look perfect! They have a flat top too, so stacking rocks on top of them would be a snap. very cool.

I never thought I would pay to ship concrete around...

Drew

:LOL: Isn't that the truth.

Scott I asked this same question and his reply was something a kin to "We don't want to leach anything into any body of water... an aquarium or a sensitive lagoon."

Actually I worded it wrong.. it's not something that's sprayed onto it but something that's mixed in with the mixture that "binds" it all together and creates an inert material. I need to look through my notes to see what exactly it is. I'll try to do that tonight.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL:

you've got a PM waiting buddy!! You may want to keep that FireCoral handy... from some of the pictures I've seen this morning you may need to use it to melt some of the snow around your Snow Mobile :D

tbittner

Alright Al.... don't make us use the firecoral... where did you find em! :smirk:

These look perfect! They have a flat top too, so stacking rocks on top of them would be a snap. very cool.

I never thought I would pay to ship concrete around...

Drew

And who ever thought that they would pay $5 per pound for ROCK! :lol:

Witfull

there is also a company that will mix your cremated remains in them and make a grave marker plaque and bury you at sea~

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*lol* Luckily I am not currently involved with those in any way nor do I wish to have or promote THOSE in my tanks :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have some coming my way as of this morning. The only drawback is the company is sort of in PANIC mode trying to get the building all cleaned up and may put my order on hold.. apparently they think it's some kind of Big Deal that CNN is going to do a whole show/segment of a show on Reef Balls. How COOL is that?

I'll try to keep this thread updated and let yall know when it's going to be on the air. TRY being the key word here.