Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

BEELZEBOB

i may be weird, but i think that would be really cool.

hed be a part of a flourishing living system. may donate a lil calc too! :D

panmanmatt

DISCLAIMER: I by no means any disrespect by the following post.

I would not add your father's ashes to reef tank. You have no idea what else is mixed in with those ashes from the crematorium. While it is a noble jesture, it could be totally catastrophic to your reef.

althea2you

I also mean NO disrespect either.... but...

i have to wonder... how long he would actually remain in the tank, via water changes ect.... yikes... i would not do this....just a thought and only MO

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I bet they are going crazy cleaning up the yard for a visit by CNN!

Yeah I talked to the Head Honcho on the phone this morning and it literally sounded like a 3 ring circus going on. He could hardly talk with trying to give instruction and NOT get ran over by heavy equipment. But he said they would try to get my shipment packaged and ready today if they could. I'm hoping to get some of these into the LFS before Christmas if possible.

:)

cracker

I hope You mentioned that this whole thing is also being discussed on an international marine aquaria website as well! That old broke down truck has got to go ! BEEP BEEP BEEP. Too late to fix that broken mold ,It's outta here! Get rid of that pile of beer cans! BEEP BEEP BEEP! We gotta paint that fence! LMAO

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I hope You mentioned that this whole thing is also being discussed on an international marine aquaria website as well! That old broke down truck has got to go ! BEEP BEEP BEEP. Too late to fix that broken mold ,It's outta here! Get rid of that pile of beer cans! BEEP BEEP BEEP! We gotta paint that fence! LMAO

:LOL: That's VERY close to what I over heard. Fork trucks beeping... trash dumpster being filled up.... and maybe even the sound of MANY aluminum cans being crushed... you NUT!!

Hey I went ahead and put you down to TWO of the reef cakes since you liked how MUCH they look like a Wedding Cake :D :lol: you need to change your name from cracker to NUT! :D

I hope to have one in my aquarium BEFORE the CNN show because I want to be able to say," I already have one of those in MY reef!"

Thanks for reading :)

cracker

Well, I guess it would be cool to have several before all the hype! I'm interested in a couple of the balls but none of those "wedding" cake looking ones! On a serious note, what are the dimensions of the small cakes & balls? You may have covered this already but do these guys already marketing really small ones marine aquariums?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The "Reef Cakes" only come in one size. I'll have to find it shortly and post back.

The actual Reef Balls and Reef Cakes were in various sized from maybe 3' to upwards of 6'+ and designed for the ocean to help stimulate coral re-growth and provide a good safe haven for inverts and small fishes who were left home-less after a reef disaster.

I saw them on Dirty Jobs.. contacted The Discovery Channel and was given a contact name with Reef Balls. Sent an email and got a phone call. I contacted them and asked about "Aquarium" sized Reef Balls and cakes and yadda yadda yadda here we are. I hope to get these things OUT in the stores before the next show comes out. That puts me and some other LFS's way ahead of the game. I'm hoping to get them up North and way out on the East Coast in the next few weeks. I just have to work out some logistical and s/h $$ issues. Every time the cost of fuel goes up so does EVERYTHING else... grrrrr

I'll look up the sizes and post back shortly. I may have to log into my Reef Ball spreadsheet on my work pc. I'll post back in a few minutes :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's what I have on my Spread Sheet...

Ok here is what's available:

Reef Balls

Large apprx 5" tall, 8"base diameter 6lbs
Med apprx 3.75" tall, 5"base diameter 2lbs
Small apprx 2" tall, 2 1/2"base diameter 1lbs

Reef Cakes (One AVERAGE size only)
8" to 10" tall, 9" at base, weight about 10 lbs

Reef Cakes & Reef Balls
ReefBalls2.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh man that's COOL! You get to go see them first hand! Would like to take a tour and watch them be launched into the reef!!

Wolfgang8810

lol its so awesome diving here! it takes forever to get the boat anchored so nothing will be disturbed. Its amazing though last time i went i came face to face with a 4.5 foot barracuda needless to ssay i was terrafied

panmanmatt

Hey Al,
Let me know if you need some test subjects up this way. I wouldn't mind putting them in one or two of my tanks. I think they work nice for the ponies to hitch onto.

Wolfgang8810

jsut got back form a store near me where i went to buy some heaters and they offered me a free long tentacle anemone. The offer is really cool but i declined. I dont need everything dying in my tank this early

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey Matt I'll shoot you a PM in a moment :)

Wolfgang8810 good for you. Your tank is a LONG ways off from ready for that and it would totally NUKE your tank when it dies.

:)

Wolfgang8810

:) he said that the offer was still on the table for later on when im ready to get one. I dont even want a long tentacle anemone! I want a bubble tip lol

justsunnie

The "Reef Cakes" only come in one size. I'll have to find it shortly and post back.

The actual Reef Balls and Reef Cakes were in various sized from maybe 3' to upwards of 6'+ and designed for the ocean to help stimulate coral re-growth and provide a good safe haven for inverts and small fishes who were left home-less after a reef disaster.

I saw them on Dirty Jobs.. contacted The Discovery Channel and was given a contact name with Reef Balls. Sent an email and got a phone call. I contacted them and asked about "Aquarium" sized Reef Balls and cakes and yadda yadda yadda here we are. I hope to get these things OUT in the stores before the next show comes out. That puts me and some other LFS's way ahead of the game. I'm hoping to get them up North and way out on the East Coast in the next few weeks. I just have to work out some logistical and s/h $$ issues. Every time the cost of fuel goes up so does EVERYTHING else... grrrrr

I'll look up the sizes and post back shortly. I may have to log into my Reef Ball spreadsheet on my work pc. I'll post back in a few minutes :)

So you're a one-man LFS now, eh? Doesn't surprise me. Hehe.