Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

goldenmean

Wow! Very Nice AL!
I especially like the way the shells are built into the cake. That will make some really nice homes for some of your critters.
Looks like that small ball would fit right over the top of the cake.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Very Nice AL!
I especially like the way the shells are built into the cake. That will make some really nice homes for some of your critters.
Looks like that small ball would fit right over the top of the cake.

I'm glad you think so Jeff. It's funny you say that... I think that the top layer of the reef cake IS a small reef ball made out of 3 individual pieces.

Supposedly from their FULL SIZE Reef Balls and Reef Cake information the Cakes are designed for crustacean (crab & lobster) habitats (they prefer cave type dwellings) and the balls are for fish and other swimming dwellings.

Jason25

:LOL: Yeah yours came in bro!! I'll shoot you a PM shortly :)

Sounds good but you had best hurry up I think I might be going to the LFS today and you know what that means, lol I will be on a time out for sure when I get home from there. No hurry, thanks Al.

panmanmatt

I want Al's balls!!!!!

Where's my balls, Al?

Those cakes are actually smaller than I thought they would be.

I actually saw them being made on "Dirty Jobs" the other night. I told my GF, "those are Al's balls that I am getting". You should've seen the look I got.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Matt I may go ahead and order yours in the next couple of days.. I have 2 LFS here that are ordering but neither can decide which ones or how many... I may just order yours outright *S*

mps9506

Doesn't tell us much. I'm just interested if it is calcium carbonate based :)
I'm just thinking it would be hard to build these yourself :D They just wouldn't be made by someone that was on Discovery and CNN....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh ok... I don't think they would be hard to "make" but I think the "hard" part would be the "chemical" part of it. I don't know or claim to know all the details but it's not just a "masonry" mix like we would use on our porch/side walks. It's designed for the reef balls and is much more "inert" due to this advancement. I'll do the "Fizz-Test" when I get home tonight and let you know.

:)

mps9506

Oh ok... I don't think they would be hard to "make" but I think the "hard" part would be the "chemical" part of it. I don't know or claim to know all the details but it's not just a "masonry" mix like we would use on our porch/side walks. It's designed for the reef balls and is much more "inert" due to this advancement. I'll do the "Fizz-Test" when I get home tonight and let you know.

:)

yeppers... my thoughts are it probably has a similar make up to the homemade live rock that was popular a few years back. there is a nice formula for this on GARF's site. Here is a DIY thread at seahorse.org
Diy Live Rock - Seahorse.org
Totally safe for aquarium use after curing...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
yeppers... my thoughts are it probably has a similar make up to the homemade live rock that was popular a few years back. there is a nice formula for this on GARF's site. Here is a DIY thread at seahorse.org
Diy Live Rock - Seahorse.org
Totally safe for aquarium use after curing...

I did the "White Vinegar" test. It fizzed some at first but very little fizzing really. So I flipped it over and used and equal amount of RO/DI water on it and it fizzed the same amount. My assumption (warning label goes here) is that the actual fizzing I heard and noticed was merely the porous cement absorbing any liquid applied to it. Just to be sure I did it with 2 others to make sure I wasn't missing something. There's no actual fizzing or bubbles at all other than water being absorbed.

Am I correct in assuming the "reaction" you were anticipating would be more of foamy milky fizzing?

mps9506

Am I correct in assuming the "reaction" you were anticipating would be more of foamy milky fizzing?

Get palmful of aragonite out of your tank and pour some vinegar on it and you can compare for yourself... Hard to verbally explain these things without photos :D
At least at my vocabulary level :)
I've also only done it with sand, not on rock... so not sure what it would look like exactly :)
Try this link for sample pictures:
Substrate Options

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I compared to aragonite and also some quality base rock I have sitting around ready to go into my tank. Then after seeing the reaction (was sure what it is supposed to look like) I went back to the Reef Balls. It's the same "fuzz" on all three items. Maybe the Reef Balls to a lesser extent but a definite fizziness. I was able to more accurate see it by finding a "dip" in the surface of the rock and reef ball and allow the vinegar to pool there. This created a dramatic difference between just water "seeping in" and a true chemical reaction. I guess earlier I wasn't allowing it to "sit" on the surface long enough. But once I had an idea of what to look for it looks and sounds much different.

So what IS this telling us? Is the reaction a GOOD thing or BAD thing?

mps9506

It is good, we can probably DIY these to make the exact sizes or shapes we want by using the DIY formula I posted before.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey Mike.. they are so cheap I don't know if it's worth the time to mix up the mix to make one myself. Plus it's pretty cool having a "model" of the ones that are being used all over the world to help rebuild the natural reefs.

CNN was at the factory last week and did a bunch of taping of the process. They are supposed to air the show in January. Once I know the date I'll post it back.

There are two LFS's here that are now going to be carrying these for local reefers.

Here's a pic of some reef balls and reef cakes after a short time in the reef. Notice the corals starting to take over and encrust on the surface.

(These are FULL size Reef Balls & Cakes)
http://www.reefball.org/newfrontpage/smallsizes.jpg