Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

Frankie

RS STAFF
I need to get a reef ball. I want to grow coralline on it. I bet it would look cool all covered in the stuff.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A couple of updated pics

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

I'm really liking the Zoa Reef Ball thingy :) Can't wait to see them grow in :)

leahski

hey, those look great! it'll be neat to watch them grow out.
btw, did you let the individual polyps attach to substrate before you glued them to the ball? or how did you do it?
when you first razor blade them off of the rock, aren't they covered in mucus that doesn't glue well?

beautiful work as always, allen!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Individual ones were glued immediately after removing from the mother colony. Yeah they are slimey but I have a paper towel on hand and here's how I do it..

Dab dry spot on Reef Ball, cut polyp from colony, dab base dry, apply glue to dry spot on Reef Ball (fairly large gob of glue) and gently press polyp into glue gob. I have about a 90% success rate with this technique. It's not perfect but I get good results. You just have to work quick as I have found once cut the polyp needs to be back in the water fairly quickly. The few that I "lagged" with didn't survive. Not sure why but that's my "observation".

Thanks Tori for looking and commenting :)

Stacef

Any updated pics???

In the last pic I realllly like your zoa's with the orangeish looking skirts..

Update us :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I lost the orange ones due to a snail not leaving them alone. Maybe I didn't have them glued enough but I was able to harvest them and now they are "Dropping Babies" in my 10g Frag Tank.

I need to get some updated pics. I'm slacking a LOT! the Reef balls have all become covered with "tank stuff" and now look just like Live Rock but in a COOLER way! I keep meaning to do a GSP reef Ball (How cool would that be?) but every time I Get ready to I end up selling the reef ball and have to order a replacement. Not that I think that's a BAD thing but makes it hard to do "projects" when I keep selling my own reefballs out from under myself :lol:

Stacef

Can you PM me your ball pricing? hahah!

"Please send me a private message regarding info on your balls please.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
John which tank? *LOL*

90g tank is running Current Outer Orbit Pro 48" 2x 150w MH, 4x 54w T5's

10g is 130w PC

6g is running stock Nano lights of 18w PC

12g is standard PC lights with Nano Customs PC upgrade (Can't remember watts right now).

Hope this helps buddy :)

JWarren

The tank you have the ball with the zoa's in. I have some of those pink zoa's and they just don't grow very fast under PC's. Red's and greens are growing like weeds though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The tank with the "Zoa-Ball" is the MH 90g tank. I just replaced the MH bulbs tonight and we'll see how they grow now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here is something sort of "On Topic" to this thread. As many of you know... Reef Balls are used out in the oceans to help re-establish damaged/destroyed reefs. The Reef Balls I talk about here are small models of the real thing. Well I found these pics from a past Reef Ball Restoration project presentation. I picked some of the slides and made them into a file that can be viewed over the web.

It's nothing fancy but it's really cool seeing how some of the things we do in our tanks have been applied to Real World scenarios! All you "Fraggers" out there look at this and see if anything looks familiar to you