purple algae, red algae growing in my tank. Is this algae bad??

leslie

Dont get me wrong, I appriciate everything u said and will take it into concideration BLADEYAMAHA, sorry if u took offense to that. I appriciate any input or guidance. Thank you. Plus I didnt mean to seem pissy

triniwasp

Definitely macro algae as others have said. Your tank parameters are pretty good, salinity is on the high side, but not out of normal.

I like some macro algae in my tanks, as long as it stays in check, I think yours looks pretty sweet. I've had similar, if not the same. Never had it grower very far for me, but that's variable. I've never bred clowns, but my understanding is if their inclined to mate you would be hard pressed to stop them.

I think the fry would use the macro algae, but just a guess. Keep us posted...

Sent from my gadget, using Tapatalk.

leslie

I actually have some LFS who r willing to buy the micro algae I have growing in my tank! Pretty happy about that!!!

leslie

Yes I sold some of my micro algae today! I was very happy about that! Going to keep growing it. Not really used for a coral tank, just mainly now a breeding tank if we can get this right. I now have a forum started on breeding my cinnamon clownfish. So if u want to check that out i will keep everyone informed on that. Thanks for all the good advice everyone!!! :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Score! Good for you Leslie.
Notice, I never said to get rid of it. I thought it looked quit cool actually.
The reason why I wanted water parameters is when algae i present like that the nutrient levels tend to be high making the water unsuitable for fish to breed in.
Link your new thread here so any that read this thread have a door to the outcome.
Just copy the url and paste it here.
Thanks for the update!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Forum Runner

lbiminiblue

Thank you Frankie.....you are so good at what you do!

they wanted the MACRO or MICRO algae? That's pretty stuff you've got there, I wish I could keep SOME in my tank, but my blue leg hermits take serious offense and next thing I know it's overrun in hermits.

leslie

Well thank you very much. We really like the look of the algae growing in our tank. We thinned it out some, now I am waiting for it to get thick again.

leslie

Ok I have a new question about the algae in my tank. The purple algae has bright orange things on top of it. It sticks to the side of my my tank and is on the algae as well. Can anyone help answer what that is? I would post pics, however having a hard time even getting them to download on my profile. Thanks for any advice.

leslie

leslie-albums-new-pics-picture24166-fishtank7.JPG

This is the pic of the bright orange things on my algae. Anyone have a clue????

theplantman

Leslie, a better close up would be helpful, but if they are sticking to the sides of the tank, my guess would be flatworms. Planaria species. They feed on rotifers and phytoplankton and typically do well in nutrient rich water. They are bad. If they overpopulate they can have a mass extinction event when food finally runs out and potentially wipe out everything in the tank.

Of course thats if my ID is right which is just a guess based on your description. Certain fish will eat these critters or you can treat the tank, but i don't like dumping chemicals in to kill pests because they usually kill good things too. You may try a six line wrasse, they are suppose to eat flatworms and then when they are gone sell the little guy or gift him to a fellow reefer with the same problem.

leslie

ok I will invest in one of those and see if that is the problem. Right now my lfs said that was more than likely the prob. He also recommended a cleaner wrasse as well, He said they will eat flat worms also. What do u think about that? Let me know ASAP because hubby is stopping by the LFS after work.

theplantman

It cannot hurt and six line wrasses are pretty cheap. I have never seen anything about cleaner wrasses eating flatworms. They are even cheaper to buy at least the common ones are, but and beware alot of cleaner wrasses are listed as difficult to expert care. I would try the six line first. Go to live aquaria on the web and look up reef safe wrasses and you will see them towards the bottom.

leslie

I have gotten a cleaner wrasse to live for yrs before, then we added a trigger and it took a bite out of him and one of our fire fish....needless to say he got sent back to the fish store the next day. I am going to try the cleaner wrasse because I know they will eat them and I feel like i can also get it to eat as well like we did the other one. So wish me luck! Will post tonight if I see him doing his job. If anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead please!!!

leslie

oh yeah thats the closest pic I could get, and the ones on the side of the tank my phone would not focus on them because they are so small

theplantman

Do an internet search on red flatworms and grab a magnifying glass and that should help you id them. Meleves reef used to have a good article on them.