purple algae, red algae growing in my tank. Is this algae bad??

leslie

Ok did some research and they are def flatworms. So far I dont have a major infestation, however I know I need to get a hold of the situation soon. If the cleaner wrasse don't do the trick then I will go chemicial. I really dont want to do that at all! I would hate to kill anything in my tank at all!!! Guess another water change is due soon. Also a quick question....How would I have live rotifers in my tank without adding them? What else would I have in my tank witch may be feeding them?

theplantman

This is just a guess but with all the macro algaes in your tank you may have a natural population of them and phtyoplankton. If you added any new coral or rock lately they could have hitchhiked in. You can also try sucking them out with a turkey baster

lbiminiblue

rotifers are pretty much microscopic crustacean like creatures. They tend to just "happen". they probably were on you rocks, or (IDK if they have eggs) a fish had eaten them before and you bought it and it released eggs. In any case, rotifers are your friends, I believe. Other things that seem to "appear" in the tank are copepods, little insect-like creatures that are actually really beneficial. In any case, anything that comes about by proper husbandry of the tank shouldn't be anything to worry about.

leslie

So I should not worry about the flat worms? I had done got a cleaner wrasse to help with them. They are in my micro algae and on the sides of my tank, but like I said, not a major infestation. If the cleaner wrasse does not work I guess I will go to chemicals and sucking them out asap!

leslie

UPDATE - Well my cleaner wrasse is constantly pecking at the glass, in the rocks, and at my fish. So far I have not seen it eat at any tube worms. My question is, If it does not eat at the tube worms can I add a 6 line wrasse in with it?? Oh yeah, the cleaner wrasse at least does eat frozen myisis shrimp!! So at least I know he wont starve to death, plus I am sure I have plenty of copiopodes and other things for it to eat as well.

leslie

Ok I have 2 6 line wrasses ordered and should be here Friday. One for my 30 gallon nano and one for my 85 gallon as well. I also ordered a cuc for our 30 gallon nano. I have to get ride of these flatworms, they are getting more and more every day. I just need to make sure that the 6 line will be ok with the cleaner wrasse in a 30 gallon nano? I also added 2 emerald crabs yesterday as well to help with the bubble algae and to keep some of our other algae under control. I hope I am doing the right thing. I know I need to quaritine, however I dont have a fish tank or a set up for one. I am doing good to buy the fish to help with this prob, so please dont fuss at me about not quartining.

lbiminiblue

Ok. Flatworms almost definitely came in on a coral frag or piece of rock. anything else is unlikely. As for rotifers, they pretty much find their way into any tank, and chances are they're there since the first piece of LR is added.

leslie

Thank you for your input. I accept any info or advice from anyone. I know they are a pain in my ass!!!!

leslie

They will be added a few days apart....so hopefully it will go well. That will only be 4 fish in a 30 gallon nano. 2 cinammons, 1 cleaner wrasse, and a 6 lined wrasse. I just need this flat worm situation taken care of.....its really bothering me. Never had any kind of nucience anything except the occasional outbreak of cyno and we get right on that.

lbiminiblue

ooh i didn't realize it's 30 gallons...might be a problem, I would recommend adding them as closely together as possible. Why do you need both wrasses rather than one? BTW, you may want to post this in a new thread-people right now probably think this is just ongoing discussion about your algae, when this topic is a bit more urgent, I think.

leslie

I have removed the cleaner wrasse to my 85 gallon tank. He is doing well and eating. My two new 6 lined wrasses will be here tomorrow as long as a 30 gallon reef cuc. I am going to be adding one 6 line wrasse to 85 gallon and one to my 30 gallon to take care of the tube worms. I decided my self that having two wrasses in such a small place would not be good. So hope the best for me.