purple algae, red algae growing in my tank. Is this algae bad??

Frankie

RS STAFF
where do you want to move it to?
what you need to do is pick a topic forum and start a new thread there on the topic you are wanting to discuss. just like you pick this forum to start this time.
there's no need to move this thread.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Forum Runner

lbiminiblue

You don't need to move it, you can just make a new thread with the problem that concerns you most, and it'll be at the top of the threads.

leslie

Thank you that is one of my fish....its a pshutochromis, cant rememver the first name. He is a cool fish. Very active and wants to know everything going on in the tankl! He is doing great in my 85 gallon, I just have to make sure if I add any other fish they are going to have to be bigger than him. He is a bully! My little girl named him Purple. lol....

leslie

As some of you know I added some 6 line wrasses to my cinnamon clown tank to help with flatworms that was on my algae and on sides of my tank. Idk for sure if they are eating them. I dont see them on the algae like I was however my lfs said they could be hiding. They were not hiding before, is this a prob? Do they move to hide after so many are in the tank? I still see them on my glass but they are where nothing can get to them to eat them. Does this mean my 6 lines are actually eating them?? I have not seen the 6 lines doing anything but pecking at the rocks and glass. So I really dont know. It does not look like they are as many in my tank as before. My lfs guy said he has never seen a 6 line eat flatworms before.....I want to trust him but I am wondering if he is just trying to get me to buy someting else. My tank already has enough fish in it and esp with the cuc. I def dont want to use flatworm exit in my tank. What do you guys think??
Anyone know a lot about flatworms and how they do?

theplantman

As stated before, read this article if you have not yet. Otherwise continue siphoning and monitor the tank and the progress with the six lines. Last resort could be flatworm exit.

Melevsreef.com - Flatworms | How to eliminate them!

Here are the usage instructions from salifert if you find yourself going that route.

Flatworm - eXit

Flatworm eXit itself is quite safe to fish and invertebrates.
However, the body fluids of flatworms can be toxic to some reef inhabitants when present in a too high concentration. This body fluid is sometimes excreted when flatworms die.

So when you use this product it is important to do the following first:

1] Siphon out as many flatworms as possible.

2] Keep sufficient fresh activated carbon in a canister ready.

3] Turn off UV, ozone and remove activated carbon. Keep the skimmer turned on.

Important remarks
Below given remarks are a.o. meant to reduce the amount of the flatworm’s toxic body fluids in the water.

Many people have treated their reef tank(s) successfully using Flatworm eXit without any problems. The most important factors are reducing the number of flatworms before commencing with the treatment and reducing the amount of the flatworm’s body fluids, released when they die, as fast as possible.

Do not underestimate the number of flatworms in your system. In a few cases a significant number of flatworms can be hiding in for example crevices. Blow in such and any other potential hiding places water to blow any flatworm out of there. For that purpose you can use a powerhead or a turkey baster. Siphon out those flatworms as well.

Furthermore do not underestimate the amount of toxic body fluids these flatworms can excrete. This can be reduced significantly by really siphoning out the flatworms before commencing with the treatment. Further significant reduction is accomplished by siphoning out as many dead flatworms as you can.

Any body fluids released by the dead flatworms in the water has to be reduced further by using about 1 pound of fresh high quality carbon for every 50 gallons. The carbon has to be used in a canister with a sufficient forced water flow.

Take sufficient time for treating the tank. That is, do not treat your tank in a hurry. Also take time to monitor your tank for at least 6 hours after the treatment.

It is also wise to have at least 25% water ready for a water change if required.

Dosage:
Read all the above text before commencing with the treatment!

- 1 drop for every 4 liters or 1 gallon.
The dropper contains approx. 300 drops (10 ml). The dropper cap holds approx. 90 drops.
So 1 cap full is good for 360 liters or 90 gallons.

Add it in a high flow area of the tank. If you want to treat a refugium only and if it’s volume is too small for using a powerhead then mixing should be done manually.

- It should start to work within 30 minutes.

- If within 45 minutes no visible death of flatworms occurs add 50% more.

- As soon as the flatworms start to die commence with the activated carbon to take out any toxic body fluids. Also see the above given important remarks.

- After an hour or so you can turn any UV or ozone on again.

Keep out of the reach of children! Only for aquarium hobby use.

leslie

I really, really do not want to add flatworm exit to my tank. I am not a big fan of chemicals in a tank at all. I have always resorted to the natural way of getting rid of nucisances in my tanks. I know it takes time to get rid of anything. I was just wanting an opinion on if anyone thinks the wrasses may be eating them.

lbiminiblue

Thank you for all of your advice. I do appriciate your input.

ahem, sorry to push it, but if you want more attention for this read (as I said everyone else sees a title dealing with a problem I BELIEVE you solved...you may want to repost, I'll migrate to that thread. Your call.