purple algae, red algae growing in my tank. Is this algae bad??

leslie

Thats why I am on here trying to find out what it is. Knowledge is key. Dont say we are not capable, we are, however like I said I myself do not do the water testing, so therefore I cant give you the paramiters. I take what u said to offense. We have maintained an 80 gallan salt water tank for 5 yrs very sucessfully. This tank has been set up for 3 yrs and this just showed up within the past 6 months. Why else would I be asking for advice? Is this not the place to get input from others???

leslie

Do I need to get rid of the algae??? What do I need to do? I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions from the person at my fish store and from here. I can get the water parimiters tonight when hubby gets home, I just dont do it, he does. I am on here asking for experts opions, not to hear we are uncapable of doing something. If we are doing something wrong, tell me how to fix it, dont just criticize.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well, first i would not panic. There seems to be some urgency in your posts and there is no emergency.
Sorry you took my post offensive. It happens.
So, you are able to provide water parameter results when your husband gets home and is able to do the appropriate tests.
That is what i require in order to give you my expert advice.
Look forward to seeing what's going on in your aquarium.
Please post also he test kit brand with the results and then you will get your expert advice on what to do with the algae and weather it is good for You to use for breeding reasons.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Forum Runner

leslie

Thank you I appriciate that....tell me what all u want tested so I can tell him, we have Sera test kits to test about anything.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a breeder, but I've seen a lot threads from those who breed fish. I don't think that algae is a necessity for breeding unless they would use it for cover to avoid bigger fish. A lot of freshwater breeders use plants as cover for the babies. Most saltwater breeders that I've seen move the fry to a bare bottom tank, like a quarantine tank. Ernesto, who has a RSM 650 thread in the RSM forum has baby clowns growing in his sump.

mtk

Well the green bubbles are bubble algae and the red could be cyano. Hard to tell from that pic. On the right side of your pic after you click onto the picture and enlarge it in photobucket you will see a few url's the bottom one should say IMG code. Click onto the link directly to the right and it should flash copied. Now come to where you want to post your pic and paste it. For me it is easier to put a . or a letter then highlight it and paste but thats just me. Hope this help's

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Richie - thanks for trying to help - great link !

leslie - you will find RS "special" unlike some reefing forums, no flames here... only lots of members that will try.... to help you have success.

like me... :dance: looks like my cotton candy guess was wrong - but I am no "expert" ;)

Good work on the ID john !!!

leslie

I will post peramiters tonight and I guess we will go from there. Can anyone tell me exactly what all I need to have my husband test for??? I am sure we have all the kits.

leslie

mtk, I do not have any of that type of algae in my tank except bubble algae and caulerpa. The rest is unknown to me.

Frankie

RS STAFF
good stuff Glenn.
yes I'm looking for nitrates phosphates alkalinity calcium ph salinity temperature.

leslie

leslie-albums-algae-what-type-picture24113-algae2.JPG

could this be a coral because it has tenicals coming out of it???? Husband just pointed that out and we both see them!

Last edited:

leslie

leslie-albums-algae-what-type-picture24129-fishtank6.JPG

Could this be a coral?? It has tenicals coming out. Husband and I just discovered that! Will get perimaters up soon!!!

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks like something other then algae. Possibly sp. Cappanella.
It is not easy to id corals without seeing there skeleton structure but i would say yes.
The algae i see mixed in though ( carlarpa ) is strangling it all.
You have a tough situation there. Macro infestation is very hard to eradicate.
I almost want to tell you to dump it all. And start over if your looking for a coral reef setting.
It is possible to manually remove it but you will have a good fight getting that knot out.
This particular algae is more like a weed and threads it's roots throughout the rock work.
So it will most likely come back. If you remove it all visually and add some algae eating fish (a single tang would do) the fish could keep it at bay and give the soft coals a change to dominate.
Look forward to seeing your results!
Please be sure the kits are not out dated.

leslie

ok here is my perimaters.
amonia- 0.0
phosphate - 0-0.1
nitrate- 0 mgl
alkalininaty - 2.5 meg/l
salinity - 1.026
temp - 82 - however we have had the light on most of the day....thats why its high

Ok, would like some feed back on that.