Let's see em Encrusting Monti's

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Nice corals everyone.

BigAl- Is the fifth one down a monti for sure? From the angle the picture is taken it looks as though there are no individual small polyps. And the "rock" that it is "attatched" to looks alot like a skeleton. It sort of looks like some type of Echino or chalice to me. But I am no expert. :)
~Michael

I'm FAR from an expert but the guy I got it from said it was. It was a "Freebie". It is indeed a skeleton and not a "rock" at all.

Zeppelin

Here's a different one I snagged recently. The base is going a nice orange, and 5 tips of the polyps are purple. The rest of the polyp is tan. Weird how only 5 tips on each polyp are a cool lavender purple.

purple-polyp-monti.jpg

Unarce

Yes...brightest and deepest color coral in the hobby!

The pic is raw (with the exception of cropping), taken under a 400W Helios bulb (no actinic). I waited for a fish to swim by for color reference. Took forever to get the right shot.

Unarce

Would love to hear what's brighter and deeper colored. Been looking to add another piece or two.

Only interested in SPS, though.

Zeppelin

Sps kind of limits you, as far as orange is concerned. There are some stellar lps and softies such as orange blastomussa, acan echinata, acan lordhowensis, zoanthids, etc. with equally bright orange coloration. Red too. Some VERY bright red lps and zoanthids out there. The ocean is a BIG place. ;)

Unarce

I've had the top shelf LPS before getting rid of them all, and none really stacked up. Then again, I'm not a fan of LPS and softies. The only exception would be the pink/green acan from TheCaptiveReef. If I needed to have one LPS in my tank, that would be the one.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Killer encrustinators everyone! I missed this thread. Here is my encrusting Green Monti that has kidnapped my T.Maxima:
048-3.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
LOL, it is big. That's a 6" clam on there. The rock has to be 30lbs easy. I got that monti as a small chip.