Karma Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The imbalance was caused by someone messing with the karma points members had. The more karma you have the more you give. After several people's balances were increased to enormous values, the balances began snowballing:smirk: from member to member... and became impossible to fix.

The ratio is set iin the karma program.

"Abuse" comes in many forms. For example, The act of increasing someone's karma far beyond that what the system would have given, or by having karma parties just to give karma for no reason.

Did I miss something? I see where no one has treated anyone like a child. The karma was reset to fix a problem. period.

goldenmean

Scott has some very valid points and I am sure others agree with him.

The imbalance was caused by someone messing with the karma points members had.

Not just someone but a moderator(s).
Perhaps the fix is just not to allow moderators access to karma controls

blue_eyes53813

I agree with all of you. Im sure we can work this out. Maybe(if possible) if you remember what you had for karma before it can be set to that # or else we can all start over. I did like karma but really isnt a big deal to me. I will post in threads thank you's and smilies or what ever is needed to let a person know i appreciate their help. I know we can come to a resolution without hurt feelings. Let Travis know what you want and Im sure he will do his best to get this sorted out.

Gina

RS STAFF
I have to say that, I for one had no idea that moderators could control the karma points and change them. I even just went looking around and if it's there....I didn't see it.
I have no idea how many karma points i had and I'm even ok with it starting back at 100 if it starts back.

I did enjoy the karma but, what i liked best about it was the comments that were left. Which tells me that it wasn't the amount of points I had that mattered, it was what people had to say.

I will say that I don't like it when people ask for karma. I have seen several post where someone has mentioned something they did or something bad that happened and said.....how about some karma. To me, that is wrong.
When I gave karma, it was because I wanted to and not because someone wanted it.
I think a big thing that bothers some are the so called karma parties where it's given out for no reason but to give it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I do not know how to change the values either Gina. :dunno:

Habits are hard to break. Without thinking I started to give karma to a couple people today... :doh:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Doc, I agree with you a lot on your points. I also understand that things became unrepairable. Something had to be done. It bothered me also that i lost all the years of earning peoples good thoughts on my posts. I have to say , out of the 3500 karmas i had, they were all for good advise and help not because i made somone laugh or became there buddy. They were hard earned for me. But for the fairness of everyone i don't mind not having them anymore. I saw some who were here for less then two months with over 6000 karma points! It took me 3 years to get 3500 honestly so i saw the abuse and favoritism. I think Travis did the only right thing he could and take the whole thing away for the time being and be able to figure a way to repair the damage done to people like us. Be patient. He cares a lot for this site and i have faith that all will be well soon.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Frankie.

FWIW, I lost the most. Last I checked, my karma was the highest of everyones and although I do feel like I lost out a bit by the numbers getting reset, Travis did what he had to do. I didn't take it personal and I remember the important part which was all the wonderful comments...THOSE, I will never forget.

ReefLady

Staff member
Guys (and gals),

this is actually a pretty complicated topic, and one that has been the subject of controversy, since before ReefSanctuary even existed. To the point where, when we were creating this site, we even had to have a rather vigorous discussion about whether to use it or not.

In the end, there are some who love it, some who hate it, and some who are indifferent.

And you're right, Dentoid, that what adds value is VERY subject to interpretation. My job as this site's administrator is to act as one voice in the best interest of the group. Not an easy task, and quite honestly, it would be a hell of a lot easier on ME if everything was just put up to a vote. But things don't go very well when that happens either.

So, to an extent, yes I am the person who decides what ReefSanctuary considers valuable to the community. And I do my best to include fellow moderators and Administrators in the decision process to make sure all sides have been thought through.

Have you ever known me, though, to do something that I didn't believe was in the best long-term interests of RS? Having grown to nearly 10,000 members and made it much longer than most reef forums, has my best not been good enough? I'm asking, because in the end, you have to put your faith in me to do what I believe is the best thing for this community from a long-term perspective.

Now...

what have I been doing? I have been reading all of your comments, and taking them to heart. I know i can't please everyone, but I do believe that most here realize it's time to change how the karma system works.

I have been combing through the modifications available for this software (at vbulletin.org for those who are curious) and looking for potential solutions to our problem. I have narrowed it down to a list of a couple things we can do, but need to do some more searching.

Once I have that list, I will present it to the Administrators and Moderators for consideration, before installing it on the board. Once I have installed a solution, I will always be open to feedback. It may work out, it may not, but it's worth a try. I know that's a rather drawn-out process, but just as we don't begin pouring new supplements into our reef tanks, I don't just throw something on the site that could impact the community this much. I have to consider what will make the most people happy, what will be best long-term, what hopefully won't become unsupported and break in a later version of our software, what's compatible with the hacks we already have in place, and what effects it will have on the server.

All this so you guys can say "thank you" to a helpful post... and yup, it'll be worth it if everyone likes and uses what we end up with.

Final note for Dentoid or anyone else: How the karma system works (called "reputation") is detailed for all to see in the VBulletin manual. There's lots of other stuff about how our site works as well. If you're ever curious as to what can be done or seen behind the scenes, I encourage you to check it out here: vBulletin Manual

Travis

ReefLady

Staff member
By the way, I'm leaving work now, so if you want to riot in the streets of RS, you have about one hour.

:D

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Christ20Farley20-20Dancing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.