Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Was just reading Joyce's tank thread and she asked about removing the 2 black sponges is it a good idea to remove them as i thought they helped with filtration?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I ran mine for a couple of months, because I always ran them in my 130D, but several members that have had the RSM 250s for over a year have successfully removed them that had gorgeous tanks, so I removed mine, has been working well for me.

Courtney

Was having a look at RO/DI units again and noticed this one and was wondering if anyone had ever used on or had any information on it?
PuraTek Deluxe RO/DI System its more expensive than the other ones i have been looking at but it does look good heres the link to the page
Vertex Aquaristik > Products > Water Purification Systems > RO / DI Systems > Deluxe Puratek 100 RO / DI

Just a quick note I re positioned my pump outlets and installed my MP10wES and got good surface and water movement and no sand being blown up so all good.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The ro/di unit looks like a very nice one to me :)

Just a quick note I re positioned my pump outlets and installed my MP10wES and got good surface and water movement and no sand being blown up so all good.

Congrats !

Courtney

I think it is now a choice between the RO Man RO/DI unit and the PuraTek Deluxe RO/DI System.

As i look closer at my rock i see theses white sort of puffy tube things and i have know clue what they are any clues?

7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG

Courtney

Im still having trouble with micro bubbles i have took the skimmer out and took the pump apart and checked it all over and looked fine but even with the air valve open all the way the
bubbles don't even get up to the window of the skimmer neck at its lowest position
is still because there isn't any dirt in the tank still or am i doing something wrong with the skimmer?
I did look at the link that Iain posted RSM 250 stock skimmer tips. Would having the skimmer gate up to high be the cause as the water level is 8 1/2 marks up from the bottom
and i still have filter floss in which i washed today do you think i should remove it?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If your skimmer just started skimming less, since you add the the cpe & purigen, I would guess... this could be related, as you have improved your water quality with the chemical media.

Courtney

well my skimmer was doing the same thing before so no change since adding the CPE and Purigen maybe it is still because there isn't enough gunk in the tank to be skimmed out yet.

imaccat

Courtney,

I think your water level is too low if it is at the 8 1/2 mark, mine, and I think many others have it up towards the 12th mark.

Courtney

To get it that high should i remove the fine filter floss and lower the skimmer gate?
If I have to lower the skimmer gate where should I lower to?

imaccat

Unless the filter floss is clogged it shouldn't affect the water level too much, so I would leave that alone. Where do you have the skimmer gate currently? I have the skimmer gate just at the bottom of the top mark.

It could be that you just don't have enough water in the tank, it's hard to get the right amount of water, with the skimmer gate in the right place, the water level in the DT doesn't show below the rim, so that the skimmer works effectively. Its trial and error unfortunately.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the skimmer gate height is the key !

Study this pic...

2e25e3f8.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I keep my water around between 10th - 11th line, just counted :) try Iain's setup & mine & see what works best for you... these are good starting points...

Its trial and error unfortunately.

+1

Courtney

Mine is only open about an 3/4 to 1 inch gap as I set it up like it said in the manuel to keep the water in the centre of the water level window. Thanks I will alter it tommorow and see what happens thank you both for the help XD