Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome ! I know you will... but keep up 15% weekly water changes ro/di - no chemical media filtration will make up for not doing water changes.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Just added the 2 CPE bags and the 1 Purigen bag.
Also have you guys heard or seen this device before Reefloat Aquatic Automation
if you click on the videos and information link it explains it and you can see a video of it working.

We need to get Glenn some memory medication LOL! :)

I remember Paul (magicmann) 250 owner in the UK (Isle of Mann) got one of these for an ATO, and seemed to be pretty pleased with it. You could post in his thread with any questions on the install in a 250. See post 229:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/58038-pauls-rsm-250-a-16.html#post822964

Trev (trevorg) - a 130 owner in East Sussex also got one, and has pictures of his install:

Post 17:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...61426-trevs-upgrade-rsm130d-2.html#post853952

Courtney

Thanks for the links. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to position the two pump outlets so that i get maximum flow and also where can i position my Vortech MP10wEs?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Which 2 pump outlets - those on the 250? I'm a 130 owner so Glenn or other 250 owners can help better with that. I'm sure a lot will depend on your rockwork and coral locations, and if placement blows your sand around. It can vary by tank. I always have one of the 2 in my 130 pointed at the middle of the surface - the rippling of the surface will increase gas exchange and oxygenation.

Placement of the Vortech also depends on your rockwork and coral locations, and if placement blows your sand around. Most place them a bit towards the front on the tank and how far down depends on the above. It's a bit of trial and error experimentation. :)

Courtney

Ok will give it a go at moving them around and hopefully someone else might post another suggestion thanks again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome again. :) Like I said it's a bit of trying different positions to see what best suits the layout of your tank. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
as Terry said above... your rockscape & corals will dictate this quite a bit, I didn't want to blow to hard on my soft corals, wanted a slight surface ripple & didn't want my sand blown, my left on is directed up a bit to give a small surface ripple & my right one pointed to bounce off my right glass, the key for me was to not blow my sand and have a small surface ripple - you can see how I have mine in this pic - direct link... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...2437-glenns-reef-rsm-250-a-69.html#post933335

Courtney

Just did a water test and theses are my results:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.5 ppm
Nitrate 50 ppm

Not rely sure what else I can do to bring the levels down.
I thought that once ammonia is at 0 this would mean that nitrite would go down to 0 and once nitrite is at 0 this would mean that nitrate would be at 0.
It is frustration as i don't know what to do to help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
don't worry about them...
with the chemical filtration you are running now & good maintenance - 15% weekly water changes, I would not worry about the low test numbers at all... you will always have some nitrate, if you didn't I would guess your test were not correct... as the tank matures they will come down a bit more, but all is good... enjoy !

Courtney

Ok cool tang is doing well on his new diet of nori soaked in vitachem and I also soak the frozen food in the vitachem so that the trigger gets some aswell and i have just moved the pump outlets so hopefully it wont keep moving my sand around.
Also are triggers meat eaters mainly as mine seems to be eating nori as well?

Dweezil

don't worry about them...
with the chemical filtration you are running now & good maintenance - 15% weekly water changes, I would not worry about the low test numbers at all... you will always have some nitrate, if you didn't I would guess your test were not correct... as the tank matures they will come down a bit more, but all is good... enjoy !

Not entirely true..I have 0 nitrates and always do. I have tested with all the major tests Salifert, New Red Sea and API.
It will come down though if you keep up on your maintenance. They are always higher in a new tank as Glenn said it should come down as it matures.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hang in there! The bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates multiply slower than the ones that convert ammonia, and the ones that convert nitrates to harmess nitogen gas are the last to multiply enough to finish the final step. You'll eventually hit that zero nitrites mark, since you do already have the bacteria making nitrates - you just need more of them.

Some, me included, are always fighting to get 0 nitrates, and based on bio-load many always have some nitrates. Just one of the reasons water changes are important.

Courtney

I have re positioned both my pump outlets so that i have no sand blowing up from the bottom and i have good water movement on the surface. I know you said that placing my vortec would depend on rock placement in the tank but what side would you put it on as the left side pump has the higher output than the right side pump. I wasn't sure whether to put the vortec on the right side with the lower rated pump to get more water flow.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I guess some can keep them completely at zero, I really never have been able too, but as long as they are low, it has always been fine for my tanks, my clam likes them, in fact a little is required to keep my clam happy, as do my soft corals in a mixed reef tank, it's bit of a trade off...

Here a good read... Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The below is a post & reply to Randy I recently read:

Q: I can't seem to get my nitrates to below 5 ppm

A: There is little evidence that nitrate appreciably harms corals, and many reef tanks have higher nitrate than you without apparent problem.

In a RSM with a carnivore Trigger fish ... it's going to be hard to keep the nitrates at zero, triggers can really eat & poop a lot. Triggers are messy eaters. The Key going to just be keeping up water changes & fresh chemical filtration media - imo - I would not worry about low levels.

Courtney

There seems to be micro bubbles in the tank is this to do with the sponge filters of the protein skimmer?
Also my protein skimmer still isn't picking up any gunk is there a forum page on how to get it fine tuned and get it working?