Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

My Marine tank background
I have been in this hobby for about 2 years although still learning as i used to help my father maintain our old tank but in 2009 he passed away so i had the responsibility of looking after and maintaining our tank. We had a Fluval 190ltr Corner Tank with aqua medic titan cooler, Aqua Medic Turboflotor 750 internal protein skimmer, Proflux 2 Computer with Temperature and Ph probes, V2 Vecton 400 UV sterilizer, Vortech MP10w ES and a Fluval 305 canister filter.

So recently I have upgraded to a Red Sea Max 250 which has been up and running now for around a week or so. Although i used all the sand, live rock and water from my old tank i think a cycle has started which I am currently sorting out. The fish i currently have are a Blue Regal Tang and a Blue Throat Trigger. At the moment all is well apart from a high nitrate level which after a few more water changes im sure will go down.
Some Pics of my tank and fish XD
1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG 4.JPG

redsea reefer

Welcome and good luck with your tank Courtney!

The Blue Tang looks to be in bad shape, Skinny and the upper body looks concave which is not good. It also looks like it has Lateral Line disease. What do you feed it?

Courtney

I feed him Gamma Blister frozen food, New era marine pellets and hikari marine s pellets I have looked up symptoms for this disease which include the fish stops eating and becomes lethargic which the blue tang does not show as he is always active and eats all the food i give him.

redsea reefer

Do you see the white line on this fish below, That is Head and Lateral Line disease.

images

Now look at yours.

19337d1300725882-courtneys-rsm-250-4.jpg

Just giving you a heads up on it so you have time to heal it before it gets worse. There should be algae sheets held on by algae clips in the tank for him to graze on when he wants to.

Courtney

Thank you all for the welcome
will feeding him algae sheets and nori help with the Head and Lateral Line disease or is there something else I can get or do to help him before it gets any worse. until now i didn't know what this disease was i just thought the scaring round his head was when he when to rest or sleep under the rocks at night.

Courtney

can you recommend and good brands of nori or algae sheets and any good vitamin and garlic supplements.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Courtney - I feed every other day, but when I got my yellow tang, I started hanging nori daily - tangs are grazers... I think it is a huge key to thier health... hope this helps & heres hoping your pretty tang gets better !

redsea reefer

can you recommend and good brands of nori or algae sheets and any good vitamin and garlic supplements.

Don't know whats available to you in England, but Ocean Nutrition and Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies are good. Boyds Vita-Chem is supposed to be good. Ask your fish store whats available to you and/or search online.

Courtney

Just ordered the Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies Green seaweed Nori 30g from the link you found and whilst i was on ebay i also ordered a Two Little Fishies Veggie-Mag Lettuce Seaweed Clip.
Hopefully the nori will help my tang thanks again Glenn

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome ! I use the Two Little Fishies Veggie-Mag Lettuce Seaweed Clip too & love it ! I am sure your fish will appreciate the Nori !

Courtney

Glenn thanks again for the link on ebay. What else do you feed you fish on or do you mainly keep them on a nori diet?