Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

I think i will get the 75 GPD unit this is the link to it RO-MAN 4 Stage 50 Gallon Per Day RO SYSTEM WITH DI UNIT.
Also im still a bit confused whether or not to get the UV kit for the Teco TR10 chiller this is the link to it https://www.tecous.com/chillers/seachill-tr10/ it also has links to the UV and heater kit.
Also what do you guys think of the chiller or do you think the are better ones on the market?
I think i sort of have an idea of what the UV does, I mean we had one on the old tank and the water was always crystal clear and we didn't have large outbreaks of algae but im still very confused on UV units and whether it is a good idea to get one as i wouldn't want to not get one and down the line I have a problem that I could have avoided by getting one in the first place.

imaccat

Courtney,

There is a lot of divided opinion on UVs in a reef tank. I used to run one on my fish only system, but didn't fit it on my RSM as the wisdom seemed to be that although they kill nasties in the water, they also kill the good guys that a reef needs.

Cheers

Courtney

Got my selcon today which is cool so i will soak the nori in that tomorrow and see how we go. Should get some more of my orders tomorrow as well yay XD
Still a bit unsure on the UV and what chiller would be a good one to get anybody got any suggestions on a good chiller?

Courtney

All my vitamins, CPE and Purigen have arrived. Sorry to ask again could you tell me once more how should i change out the carbon and add the CPE and Purigen?
Also i have noticed that on the front and sides of the tank theses small thin strands of what i think are algae have started to grow they look like small hairs i will post a picture tomorrow.
I have started soaking my frozen food and nori in viatchem after a month or so i will switch to selcon and soak the food in that for about a month just so I alternate between vitamins.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just remove your stock carbon bag (lightly rinse cpe) add two bags of cpe 11.74 oz & 1 bag 100 ml purigen

or being your stock carbon is still somewhat new, leave it & add one CPE & the purigen - then take out the stock carbon in a couple more weeks & add the other cpe in it's place. You are changing carbon for carbon (high quality) and GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) and resins - changing it all out at once won't hurt all all.

I put a small dry rock on top to hold mine down, when new tends to float up & block flow... suggest this... let us know how it does for you :) I think you will see beautiful water clarity :dance:

Courtney

Ok i will change it all out a once like you said before any bacteria is in the rocks, sand and water.
Would i rinse the CPE and Purigen in normal tap water or would you use RO water?
Is it any use keeping the 2 bags of carbon as they are only about 2 weeks old?
Also any idea on what the hair like grass is on my tank glass?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you don't have to rinse the purigen ... you are rinsing the cpe to remove some carbon dust...

ro would be best, I have done both... I have also used tank change water...

guess you could keep the old carbon... in case you need it, if you run out of cpe... always good to run a form of carbon

just a guess... without a pic on algae, would be green hair algae or normal glass algae - the cpe & purigen will help with this too

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I highly advise rinsing the Purigen - SeaChem recommends it "Rinse before use." There's probably a bit of fine resin dust in it. I doubt it's harmful, but it just needs a quick rinse. You'll get alot of brown GFO dust out of the CPE, but rinse gently - you'll never get it all out and will grind the GFO into dust if you mash it too much.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I highly advise rinsing the Purigen - SeaChem recommends it "Rinse before use."

Didn't know that Terry - thanks for sharing... I have never rinsed mine, guess I need to start... just read the entire box & it didn't say a word about it, then read the accompanying sheet & they it was - rinse before use.

good advice above too on cpe - rinse gently

Courtney

Thanks for the tips.
Also here are some pics of the algae that is on the glass should i keep it or remove it?

6.JPG 5.JPG

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
looks like glass algae, just use a magfloat or something like a kent pro scraper (I have this one)

Kent-Marine-Proscraper-Metal-S-Short-Handle-99.jpg

Mag-Float-125-Magnet-Cleaner-(Glass)-Medium-(up-to-125gal)-1.jpg

Courtney

So i should just get rid of this or is there any use to this algae or does it just make your tank look messy?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I clean mine weekly right before water changes... almost everyone has some - I have very little because my many snails eat most of it...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The water is cycling through it at a rate of 2400 lph (640 gph) so it's working now, does the water look more crystal clear? My guess is a few hours to a day to get going good... :colorful:

Courtney

it is looking a bit clearer than it was before. Do you think i should do a water test tomorrow once it has had time to work properly as hopefully my levels would have gone down a bit?
I have washed the filer floss as well so it is a bit cleaner should I lift it up a bit to let a little more water through to the pump or just insert it wright to the bottom as the water trickles through the sides of the filter floss frame?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I raise my finer filter a bit, when it's clogged up a bit or the tank needs topping off, I have learned the sound... like a trickle water fall, once I top off it's very quite again... I have used the cpe & purigen for so long, I really don't remember when you should be able to test & see a decline it what it is removing - this combination was used by StevieT and the many many media rack owners in 130 & then 130D tanks, long before Red Sea came out with the RSM 250, a proven success.