Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Well that means that i did the test wrong somehow i did follow the instructions but maybe i did something wrong when following it.
I think im going to buy this test kit Red Sea Reef Foundation Complete Pro Test Kit it tests for Ca, KH, Mg.
Also can you recommend some good salt as im going to buy a Deluxe Puratex 100 RO/DI unit and make my own RO water and mix it with salt?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have the newly released Red Sea Reef Foundation Complete Pro Test Kit it tests for Ca, KH, Mg, and I found those trustworthy and the results very close to my Salifert tests. Even the original Red Sea Pro alk test had some problems. The first ones released had a bad batch of regents go out with them.

I'm not sure what's available in the UK for salt brands. The Red Sea Coral Pro is one I like.

Courtney

Ok cool does anyone know if calibration solution have an expire date or becomes less accurate after being opened as i was thinking of getting some new solutions for my proflux PH probe?
Also need to get some new filter floss is there any difference between blue and white filter floss?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Calibration solutions typically do have an expiration date. If they've been used it's always possible that they got contaminated. Some have the expiration date printed on them. I don't think there's much, if any, difference between blue & white floss. Some is blue on one side of the pad and white on the other side.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
With the calibration solutions, it pays to throw them out after you have used them. Always use fresh unopened packets when you calibrate your meter. That's what Pinpoint recommend.

Courtney

Should i position both the proflux Temperature and PH probes in the sump rather than in the main tank?
As i have read if anything starts to grow on it you will get different and incorrect readings.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Should i position both the proflux Temperature and PH probes in the sump rather than in the main tank?
As i have read if anything starts to grow on it you will get different and incorrect readings.

That would be a good idea if you can do it, especially with the pH probe. In the lighted tank you'll have a good chance of green and coralline algae growing on the probe, plugging the sensor on the tip, and giving an innacurate reading of pH. I have my controller's temp probe in the main tank, and don't think any growth on it will affect the temp. reading much, if at all, but the pH probe could be affected. I have my pH probe in my unlighted cabinet sump.

Courtney

I was considering putting them in the media chamber or left pump chamber what you think?
Thank you Anthony

Courtney

Thanks for the complement XD

If i was to put the Probes in the chamber with the CPE and Purigen would than mess the PH reading up at all?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If i was to put the Probes in the chamber with the CPE and Purigen would than mess the PH reading up at all?

Good question, and I'm guessing that it may be possible that something in the media might affect the pH, especially if the media has just been replaced. I doubt it would affect the temperature, although some chemical media can very temporarily raise the temp. a bit when fresh (rinsing first would seem to remove that possibility).

Courtney

I suppose for now i will put them in the right chamber through the accessory port until i get a chiller installed.

I have just removed the filter floss as it is well and truly had it now and my water level is at the 12 1/2 mark in the water level window and
i had to close the gate a bit now the gate is open about 3/4 of an inch will that be enough water in the sump for the skimmer to function properly.
Also since doing all this im now getting a trickling water sound now any clues why?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The probe placement sounds good for now. I'll have to let a 250 owner reply on the trickling water sound.