Biocube 14!

tangerine3486

I have been having trouble with cyano again!

also questions about the frogspawn: How open should he get? should i get worried if he is not as open and full some days as he has been in the past? It seems like some tentacles (like one or two) do not really open. Should I be worried? I will post something along the lines of this in the coral section too.

tangerine3486

I'm also haveing trouble placing the coral. Does anyone have any tips? Do people glue frogspawns? he keeps falling over from his rock..are frogspowns not happy when the tenticles are on the ground? Thanks for the help! dont know what to do :(

Jay

tangerine3486

did a tank move so got to re-arrange and stir up the sand and getting rid most of the cyano. Need to get some forceps to remove those digitate hydroids.

Ive noticed 2 aiptasia (im pretty sure at least one of them is) so i might pull them out or get a peppermint shrimp. need to do research on peppermint shrimp versus cleaner shrimp.

other than that, here are some pics. Is the hammer too close to the top? is it bad if he looks a little brown instead of green? I fed him some pieces of shrimp yesterday and he gobbled them up!
I dont know why there were so many particles floating around!!

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Rhodes19

Never thought of feeding frogspawn. I'll have to looking to that. Is the powerhead kicking up any of the substrate?

tangerine3486

actually it is. there is a bunch of this light dirt stuff that has settled on the bottom and got kicked up pretty good when I turned it on. most of the particles have settled, and now I seem to be at the normal amount (with the powerhead off; i guess i should move it up or keep it off. dont want to have too much current for the frogspawn. I dont know the proper amount)

Yeah feeding him was pretty cool. I actually fed him a good chunk. well, it would probably equate to 1/4 to 1/3 inch of a smaller shrimp, starting from the tail. I tried feeding him today and he crowd surfed the piece off. i will try for every week or something.

new tank buddies!!! got a peppermint shrimp and 2 hermit crabs! peppermint shrimp was 3 times cheaper than a cleaner shrimp, so that sounded good! and one of the hermit crabs has these things on him (shell)...maybe snails or a worm or something that stuck itself out. this is a totally useless description so i will take pictures asap!

tangerine3486

so i got 2 electric orange hermits (so cool!) and then i returned one because he killed a turbo snail and hurt the frogspawn and knocked over the zoas several times!

here is a pic of the one i'm going to keep hopefully. He hides in the rocks most of the time. whats up with that?!?

IMG_1337%20-%20Copy.JPG

in other news, I got a macro lens!! Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro !!!!!!!!!!!!! Should be in tomorrow, and if all goes according to my hopes expect a ridiculous number of macro pictures on Wednesday or Thursday.

tangerine3486

thanks to a lovely amazon error i'm finally getting to take pictures.

and i finally realized why my pictures were never really sharp! the bowed glass! now I know. this has proven to be very difficult!

need to re-arrange/find a good place for the frogspawn and other place for corals i want to acquire soon.

Pictures!
IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

tangerine3486

I took him back about 2 hours later. :( he was my second/third hitchhiker (came at same time with porcelain crab).

Anyway, I have been having heat problems. Tank seems to peak at 83 daily. the AC in the room cannot cool it fast enough. So I was considering either:

A)nano chiller?

B)building a stand/cabinet that will house a 10 or so gallon sump. I was thinking of doing a media rack as well or instead of. Basically I was hoping to increase the capacity so maybe it would heat up less. And if i could get some more filtration, that would be really cool too. I have a lot of time on my hands. Not a lot of money though.

Any thoughts?

tangerine3486

Did a 50% water change. tank is looking great.

One of the frogspawn heads is still not full, and its always the one in the shade of the other two!

Fish are looking great! Picked up a small frag of zoas and a ricordea. I am so happy with both!!!!!!!!!

here is a FTS, detailed shots will come later:

IMG_2477.JPG

edit: side view
IMG_2046.JPG

Still having some heat problems, but considering a change to LEDs as option 3. looking into 3 powerbrite LED bars. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I like to sump/refugium as well.

Last edited:

tangerine3486

more pictures
Baby Heads!
IMG_2259.JPG

New Zoas :) !!
IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

Ricordea !! Pictures do not do it justice. Have trouble with white balance settings.
IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

so cool with the blue led's or with the blue lights on!!
IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

Hermit...rarely comes out during the day and seems to do no damage at night. I always seem him in the blue LED's at night.
IMG_2264.JPG

Rhodes19

more pictures
Baby Heads!
IMG_2259.JPG

New Zoas :) !!
IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

Ricordea !! Pictures do not do it justice. Have trouble with white balance settings.
IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

so cool with the blue led's or with the blue lights on!!
IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

Hermit...rarely comes out during the day and seems to do no damage at night. I always seem him in the blue LED's at night.
IMG_2264.JPG

Jay, those are some great pictures and nice corals. I am so jealous! :drool: I really like your zoa and that ric looks sweet. How did you get those pics of the ric and hermit to come out like that? Ok, I'm going to have to re scape my BC 14, get rid of the Kenya trees and gsp and go with colorful zoas, rics and start adding some lps.

tangerine3486

Jay, those are some great pictures and nice corals. I am so jealous! :drool: I really like your zoa and that ric looks sweet. How did you get those pics of the ric and hermit to come out like that? Ok, I'm going to have to re scape my BC 14, get rid of the Kenya trees and gsp and go with colorful zoas, rics and start adding some lps.

Thanks!!! I was able to get the hermit pic in the day because he got wedged in between the back wall and a rock and was stuck, and was kind of just hanging around reaching out for things. I finally have a lens with Image stabilization so i was able to take that shot at .8 seconds.

as for the ricordea one was top down and all but one of the others were from the side. because of the curved glass any pictures from the front distort pictures, so the only way to get them as sharp is from the side. i can put the lens hood on the glass to stabilize it. yay macro lens. As for the night shots, I had to go with a tripod!

That would be sweet--I dont think I have seen any pics of your BC 14 (except for the overflow)
Thanks for the feedback!
Jay

Rhodes19

Thanks!!! I was able to get the hermit pic in the day because he got wedged in between the back wall and a rock and was stuck, and was kind of just hanging around reaching out for things. I finally have a lens with Image stabilization so i was able to take that shot at .8 seconds.

as for the ricordea one was top down and all but one of the others were from the side. because of the curved glass any pictures from the front distort pictures, so the only way to get them as sharp is from the side. i can put the lens hood on the glass to stabilize it. yay macro lens. As for the night shots, I had to go with a tripod!

That would be sweet--I don't think I have seen any pics of your BC 14 (except for the overflow)
Thanks for the feedback!
Jay

Cool beans. Thanks. I have my dad's old digital camera and I can't get as close as I would like when I use the macro setting. I still need to figure out f stops ect... I have started using a tripod and that does make a difference. :) I think your right, I don't think I have posted pics of my BC 14 on RS. I have some on nano reef, but that was before I found RS. I'll have to start a BC 14 thread when I change up my rockscape and corals.