Biocube 14!

ChrisOaty

Lol. I'm in the same boat. I started off with my BioCube 14 and ended up with another one minus the ballasts because of a faulty hood and a tank that leaked. I'm going to retrofit an LED setup in one of them. A month ago I set up another 20gal long that i'm getting ready to put a 20gal sump under. Last month I drilled my BioCube and put a sum under it. This week I'll be building a algae scrubber into its overflow in the sump. My itch is bad, real bad.

tangerine3486

I'm going to retrofit an LED setup in one of them.

Last month I drilled my BioCube and put a sum under it.

wow you sound busy!!

How did drilling your biocube for a sump go?

How do you plan on doing the LED setup? I am trying to do a LED setup in mine and I just keep hitting dead ends.

I cannot figure out what kind of power supply to get or even if I need one and with what drivers!! so confusing to me. Can anyone help??? Thanks!

Tank is getting too hot in the day and due to broken AC or just crappy AC I am having the tank on reverse cycle, so lights on at night and cover it in the day with moonlights on. Also electric bill was huge. So LEDs sound good...
Any LED help would be great.

I'm in Germany now so I wont get to do anything to the tank for a bit.

tangerine3486

Have a Pilsner for me. :clink:

Noch ein anderes Bier bitte!!! :D

Sorry, used to live in Merzalben.

I will have beer for you. I really need to figure out what kind of beer I like.

I am in Vienna now woo hoo.

Oh really?? My parents live in Stuttgart! so that is why I am over here. Merzalben does not seem to be too far away.

Rhodes19

I will have beer for you. I really need to figure out what kind of beer I like.

I am in Vienna now woo hoo.

Oh really?? My parents live in Stuttgart! so that is why I am over here. Merzalben does not seem to be too far away.

Its about a 2 hour drive. I like the Pilsners myself. The Weizenbiers arn't bad but htey always gave me a sinus headache the next day. :(

:clink:

tangerine3486

Well, it's official. I'm going to be building a LED lighting fixture. I'm doing this primarily to decrease tank temperatures.

tangerine3486

will do. expect a lot of updates next week. hopefully it will go smoothly. I will post this again later when I do a real official post but I am doing-
5 cree XRE-WG Q5
5 CREE XRE-RB

I decided to go with 5 each instead of the 6 because I figured I should be able to space it out enough and spread the light around. I can save a little money and slightly reduce heatsink temps. it should not be that hard to add in one or two later.

Also went with a 24V 6.5A PSU and 2 buckpucks with dimmers.

tangerine3486

So what exactly do you have in your tank now?

2 ocellaris clownfish

1 peppermint shrimp
1 porcelain crab
3 blue leg hermit
1 zebra hermit
1 electric orange hermit

1 black turbo snail
1 astrea
between 10 and 18 small cerith
4 to 5 nassarius snails

frogspawn 3 heads and 6 baby heads
3 zoa frags, one with about 20 polyps and 2 with about 40.
1 (maybe 2 now) ricordea

I am eventually going to pick up a new black turbo snail, and I am looking into a sand sifting star.

I also hope to get more coral, either zoas or gsp.

But I will definitely get some cool coral that will do well with the new lights (to further justify them of course), like something that would not have worked with the stock lighting.
maybe something like so:
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.c...owProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=12#F+JL0552
or some type of acan? or trumpet coral?

I might might might also add more live rock because I do not feel like I have enough rocks to maximize places for coral. Or I am just aquascaping inefficiently to my likes/needs.

greneis7

2 ocellaris clownfish

maybe something like so:
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.c...owProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=12#F+JL0552
I like the blue in there!
or trumpet coral?
I think this looks cool too.

I might might might also add more live rock because I do not feel like I have enough rocks to maximize places for coral. Or I am just aquascaping inefficiently to my likes/needs.

I think that I have enough places for my coral and actually think I will take a piece of rock out once I have more corals in my tank, but I'll leave it in there for now. It's good for the filtration, I just think there is a bit too much. We'll see.

tangerine3486

I'm back in the states!!

I'm now waiting only on the LEDs and heatsink to ship. They might be here friday. I picked up wire and a cord yesterday, so I should be able to do it. I can put up a specific price list when I finish, but it is around $200.

Anyway, tank is looking good! I split up some zoas and glued them onto small rocks around the tank yesterday. Frogspawn is looking good with lots of baby heads still. Some snails have been dying though :/. maybe I need to throw in some shrimp. there is soon to be too much cyano though. i really need a sand sifting star or more snails. will have to save it for next week though.

tangerine3486

wont get leds till next week :( . had to leave the tank for 2 and a half days so all of the cyano will die again. I plan on doing a 50% water change when i install the new lights, while i maybe add a sand sifting starfish and 2 snails.

here are some update pics!

FTS
IMG_4364.JPG

my guy likes to hang out in the shade of and right above the frogspawn. he doesnt play in it but he brushes up against it sometimes.
IMG_4384.JPG

ricordea eating a piece of shrimp next to one of the new zoa frags.
IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

tangerine3486

few more pics. Also, clownfish is having some discolorations so if you can help with that let me know but I will make a thread in fish problems area. Thanks!

IMG_4589.JPG

one of the new frags of this
IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

Fish with problems
IMG_4611.JPG

watch out for that electric hermit... ive heard (and seen) many cases of them eating all sorts of coral... even one of my blue legs like to munch on my anthelia...just threw him in the back right section with a peice of shrimp...kinda like time out lol:jester: