Search results

1. R

Looking for suggestions

Greetings all...and Merry Christmas. Sadly yesterday there was a death in the family, my long time buddy Coral Beauty passed away after several years together. So, I am looking for a new friend. I only have a 28 gallon cube, 2 clowns and 1 blenny. I also have a few corals so it needs to...
  2. R

Cube Filter Media Suggestions

I have a JBJ 28 Gallon Cube. Currently in the media basket I have a Sponge in the top, then PhosGuard in the middle, then Carbon as the last thing the water goes through. I have both fish and have recently added some soft corals (first corals for me). Is this setup ok or is there something...
  3. R

Green Zoas Question

I am just starting with some corals and was told that Green Zoas are a pretty good starter. I have a small group of them and for the first 4 days or so, they opened up, had bright color green in the middle with a nice brown color around the edges. Now they have started having a much smaller...
  4. R

Hawaiian Feather Duster Question

A few days ago I bought a Hawaiian Feather Duster. When I got home with it and did the normal careful transitation to my 28 gallon cube, I placed it in the center-left side of the tank near some LR. Everything seemed fine for a few days then when I got up this morning I noticed the "tube" was...
  5. R

Discus Tank Question - Filter

I have had tanks for a number of years (just started with SW recently). I am looking at setting up a 55 gallon for a few discus fish, I have always wanted to keep some. I know they need excellent water quality, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for filters, and what media you...
  6. R

Nano Cube Filter Question

I have just set up a 28 Gallon Nano Cube. The built in filter came with a sponge in the top, charcoal in the middle, ceramic rings in the bottom. I have been told that the rings and sponge can cause problems with levels. I have also experienced algae problems with a tank I had a number of...
  7. R

Lighting Question

I have just set up a JBJ 28 gallon with CF Quad lighting. If anyone is familiar with this setup, can you tell me if that lighting will allow me to keep an anemone such as a Condi. If not a Condi, any suggestions that will work for this level of lighting. Thanks for your help! Dave
  8. R

Hand Feeding

Oh yea.....tonight, after weeks of working on it I was able to hand feed my Foxface....but more of a shock to me, I also hand fed my Thread Fin. The latter was probably an accident, but it did eat out of my hand. The Foxface has been nibbling for a few days but tonight was a full-blown...
  9. R

Sump Question

OK....I have a 55 gal. with no sump. I am about to buy a 110 gal that is pre-drilled for overflows. How do I go about setting up a sump, what all do I need, etc...? I have no idea how to get one set up. Any suggestions out there? Thanks as always, Dave
  10. R

Coral Beauty Question

Well...now I can say I have had my first loss, sigh. Question, yesterday my Coral Beauty seemed fine, doing what it always did, picking at the LR like crazy and swimming about. This morning, it was dead. Water levels are all good, any ideas of what could have happened? Dave
  11. R

Molting...for a 2nd time

My Coral Banded Shrimp just moted for the 2nd time since I have had him....not many weeks. I hope that is a sign that things are going good in there...from what little I now it seems to be, no deaths and everyone active. Just wanted to share....I hope this is good news and not bad. Take...
  12. R

Wanting 200+ Tank

Greetings, if anyone has a 200 gal. or larger thank for sale, please give me a yell. I am looking for just a tank but would consider a full setup if I can afford it. If in a state close to MO would be great because I would probably just drive the truck to get it. Anyway, if anyone has that...
  13. R

Magnum 350 Canister Filter Question

I have a new magnum 350, however for some reason it didn't come with instructions on cleaning the filter. Now I know I can do the "trial and error" method but for once in my life, I thought I might ask for help first...lol. Can someone tell me the best way to shut it down, disconnect, clean...
  14. R

Foxface Rabbitfish Question

I really like the looks of these guys, it says they are peaceful and not hard to care for...at least the info I have read. It looks like it would work in my community tank. My question is, because they are venomous, is it a problem doing things like cleaning sand, rock...things you have to...
  15. R

Skimmer Question....another one

I have a Sea Clone 100 and have had it for a few months. My question is, for a while it will collect quite a bit and then it will quite collecting much of anything. Is that normal. I have it running with heavy air (best way I know to describe it) and have not messed with it much other than...
  16. R

Banded Shrimp/Damsel Question

OK....if this sounds crazy I am sorry.....but...I was watching my tank just a few moments ago and noticed one of my yellow tailed damsels staying very still near my coral banded shrimp. Then, the shrimp appeared to be touching the fishes side, possibly picking something. Anyone know what is...
  17. R

Clown Question

How many Clowns can my 55 gal. handle? Also, are there some that are easier to care for than others? Remember, you are dealing with a rookie here. Thanks, Dave
  18. R

Filter Question

I have a 55 gal. saltwater, not very old at all. Currently I have a Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter. I am wanting to go to a canister filter, am told they are better. If you were going to buy a new filter, what would you get? Thanks for any help. Dave
  19. R

Fish Question

Yellow Angels....I know I am getting ahead of myself and am still getting my tank ready, but I saw this Yellow Angle in the LFS and I love it. So tell me, as a beginner, can I deal with it? From what little I have read I think I can, but would love your advice. Dave
  20. R

Confused....cycling

OK, I am betting this sounds strange, but then again....maybe not. I stabalized my temp. and salt, then a few days later added LR, shortly after that I added two pieces of shrimp as recommended here to start the cycle. Here is what I have, shortly after the ammonia went from zero to 0.25 for...