Skimmer Question....another one

Rep. Day

I have a Sea Clone 100 and have had it for a few months. My question is, for a while it will collect quite a bit and then it will quite collecting much of anything. Is that normal.

I have it running with heavy air (best way I know to describe it) and have not messed with it much other than cleaning.

Again, is this normal or do I need to do something to make it more regular.

Thanks,
Dave

DrHank

No Dave, it probably needs cleaning. A clean skimmer works better than a dirty one. I remove it from the tank and clean it up as best you can with plain warm water. Try to get it working (producing skimmate) as best as you can.

DaveK

I have a Sea Clone 100 ...l or do I need to do something to make it more regular.

This is going to sound a bit on the harsh side, but IMHO the best way to deal with a Sea Clone, to make your skimming more regular, is to remove it from you system, place it on the ground and smash it to bits, and discard the bits, so some other unsuspecting reef keeper doesn't end up with it. Then replace it with a skimmer worthy of your reef system.

Yea, I had one, found them to be almost a complete waste of time and effort. I took the above action, and replaced it with an AquaC Remora.

DrHank

I hate to say it but I completely agree. Unfortunately too many folks buy them because they are inexpensive. Also, avoid Red Sea Berlin and Coralife. For a HOB skimmer, you can't do much better than an Aqua C Remora Pro. If you want an in sump unit look at an ASM G2 or Octopus NW-110 (or larger).

BoomerD

This is going to sound a bit on the harsh side, but IMHO the best way to deal with a Sea Clone, to make your skimming more regular, is to remove it from you system, place it on the ground and smash it to bits, and discard the bits, so some other unsuspecting reef keeper doesn't end up with it. Then replace it with a skimmer worthy of your reef system.

Yea, I had one, found them to be almost a complete waste of time and effort. I took the above action, and replaced it with an AquaC Remora.

ROFLMAO!

Completely true, and well said.

lcstorc

I hate to say it but I completely agree. Unfortunately too many folks buy them because they are inexpensive. Also, avoid Red Sea Berlin and Coralife. For a HOB skimmer, you can't do much better than an Aqua C Remora Pro. If you want an in sump unit look at an ASM G2 or Octopus NW-110 (or larger).
I second the recomendations. I have an Aqua C remora on my 20g and it is awesome.
A g1-x om the 90 and a g4 plus one the 125. All are awesome skimmers. I just need to convince hubby to upgrade the g1x to a g3 or so. :)

Melanie

I was having trouble with my skimmer and I replaced it with the Octopus. I love it. What a big difference.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Now Now, I will say from personal experience that sea clone, any berlin products and coralife are an invaluable source of diy parts and extruded tubing, unfortunately if you bought them retail for this purpose, that was wrong, if you cant bring yourself to smash them up or cannibalize them they do make good doorstops when filled with loose change. Check out this link for a how to recycle junk into usefullness lol http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/21632-skimmer-build-317-a.html

Rep. Day

OK...got the message and know what, I suspected that. The LFS didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal and then after reading on here...I got a very different opinion.

Ok...I can beat a hammer...I will use the front end loader of the tractor but.... what modle/size or number do I want for a 55 gallon tank? Actually, I like overkill, maybe for a 100 gallon tank?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Rep. Day

You know the sad part, I had not found this site before I bought the initial setup, not that I am rich but I do believe in doing things right the first time, I would have bought a much better one if I had known. Oh well....I need recommendations. I have the Aqua C Remora, is there a specific model number I need for my size of tank?

Thanks you guys,
Dave

DrHank

This is what most folks will recommend for a HOB skimmer. I will say most people prefer the Mag 5 pump to the Mag 3 for this skimmer.

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer With Drain Fitting & Mag-Drive 3 Pump - AquaCave

Personally, I'm a big fan of sumps and if you would consider doing that, this would be what I'd suggest.

Octopus NW-110 Needle-Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

I had the Octopus skimmer and it was undersized for my 110 gallon but works very well on Melanie's tank (I sold it to her).

Hope that helps!

Rep. Day

This is what most folks will recommend for a HOB skimmer. I will say most people prefer the Mag 5 pump to the Mag 3 for this skimmer.

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer With Drain Fitting & Mag-Drive 3 Pump - AquaCave

Personally, I'm a big fan of sumps and if you would consider doing that, this would be what I'd suggest.

Octopus NW-110 Needle-Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

I had the Octopus skimmer and it was undersized for my 110 gallon but works very well on Melanie's tank (I sold it to her).

Last edited:

Rep. Day

Thanks Doc, I will be shopping this week while back at Jeff City. Hopefully I can find one there or in Columbia if I need to drive there.

Thanks everyone!

Dave

lcstorc

Buy one on-line. You will save some money that way. I know Premium Aquatics and Fins Depot (both greatg sponsors) carry them and have much better prices than the lfs. This is generally the rule for equipment. Lots cheaper on the net. If you don't have a sump then the Remora Pro is what I would go with. If you have a sump, I would go with and ASM G-2.
Always buy a skimmer rated for twice your actual water volume since most of them overrate their skimmers to begin with.

Rep. Day

Buy one on-line. You will save some money that way. I know Premium Aquatics and Fins Depot (both greatg sponsors) carry them and have much better prices than the lfs. This is generally the rule for equipment. Lots cheaper on the net. If you don't have a sump then the Remora Pro is what I would go with. If you have a sump, I would go with and ASM G-2.
Always buy a skimmer rated for twice your actual water volume since most of them overrate their skimmers to begin with.

I do not have a sump, so this is what I am looking at: AquaC Remora HOT Skimmer - FinsDepot.com My question is at the bottom there are choices, which one do I want?

Thanks,
Dave

lcstorc

I would go with the Remora Pro and the Mag 350 pump. Should give you years of good skimming.

Rep. Day

the 350 has been ordered and I just received an e-mail that said it would be here Wed. I won't be able to put it in the tank until Friday when I return home, seems our Governor wanted a Special Session so I am stuck out of town.

Thanks all for the adivice, I just wish I would have found this place before I bought the stuff I did...wasted money...but oh well. Learn and live.

Thanks again!

Dave

murph

Had to chime in too. TRASH the sea clone. Get an octopus. Better quality made than asm and cheaper too.