Fish Question

Rep. Day

Yellow Angels....I know I am getting ahead of myself and am still getting my tank ready, but I saw this Yellow Angle in the LFS and I love it. So tell me, as a beginner, can I deal with it? From what little I have read I think I can, but would love your advice.

Dave

DaveK

I would not consider yellow angels especially difficult, but before you add one, consider your long term goals for your reef.

Adding any angel to a tank is a bit of a "crap shoot". You never know if the fish will behave itself. Some will never touch anything, other will devour or pick on any coral in sight. Some are fine for years, and then "turn on you" and go after corals.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, just so you realize what you could run into.

If you really got to have one, go for it, but don't add it as your first fish. Add it toward the end of your fish stocking.

vdituri

Is it a lemonpeel angel?
Beautiful fish. All angels are considered iffy with corals. Don't know what kind of setup you are going for. Just my 2 cents.
Hope it helps

DrHank

Lemonpeel's are beautiful but have a reputation for going after corals. If you have your heart set on a dwarf angel, may I suggest a cherub or Coral Beauty. As Dave said though even the best is iffy and should be added later.

You want to start with your hardier and more docile fish first and progress from there. Any idea of what you'd like to have in your tank?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If it is a Lemonpeel it isn't a easy fish to care for and can be difficult to find one in good condition and they're often caught using Cyanide. The Centropyge in general depend on a tank with mature LR as they graze all day on the micro-algae that naturally grows on the rock. If you really want a Dwarf Angel I would recommend the Coral Beauty as it's usually much hardier than most other Dwarfs.

Rep. Day

Thanks all, I actually may go with a Coral Beauty, there was one of those there also and it was very striking. I don't have any coral in my tank, just LR and at this time don't plan on doing coral. Just a FO community tank.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

Dave

Rep. Day

Well, what a turn of events today, I went into the fish store I have been looking at in Jeff City (I live about 1 hour away and work in the capitol office 2 days a week) and they were scurrying around with their saltwater tanks. Evidentually they are all conneceted somehow and they said their pumps went out over night and they needed to get rid of most of their saltwater fish soon. They told me I could have whatever I wanted for $5.00 each so they could get them out of there. Of course there were a few exceptions on the high dollar ones, they were moving those to tanks they still had running.

Anyway, I explained my situation, that my tank had just cycled and all of the levels were good (when I left home the day before) but that I had not put any fish in it yet. His reply was that I would probably be fine if I just checked the water after putting whatever I bought in but he knew that if he didn't get them out of the store, they wouldn't make it.

Sorry for the long story, anyway, I bought a Coral Beauty and a red/while banded shrimp from him for a grand total of 10.00. So far they seem pretty happy, spent about 1.5 hrs. doing the water exchanges before letting them out. The Angel did eat and is spending its time just checking out the hiding places. The shrimp is just going over the LR and also seems somewhat happy.

I hope I didn't move to fast, but it is a very small store, they were calling their regual customers hunting for homes and I thought what the heck, at least they will have a chance here.

I know, but you guys wish you would have been there, afterall....you know what you are doing!

Any advice on my Coral Beauty or Shrimp???

Thanks,
Dave

DrHank

Keep an eye on your parameters and feed sparingly. Both the Coral Beauty and shrimp will feed off the rocks (they'll pick algae all day). I would do a single feeding each day to start. Remember that a fish's stomach is about the size of it's eye. At this point the worst thing you could do is over feed.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Score! That's a great story! You did the right thing. I thought you were going to say you got 10 fish. One fish and one shrimp is perfectly fine. The first fish I put in my newly cylcled tank was a Flame Angel. Some will say add the Coral Beauty last, but hey, you jumped the gun a little. Under the circumstances, you did exactly what I would have done. Congratulations! You were in the right place, at the right time.:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You did the right thing. I would have done that too in the same situation. At least they DO have a chance.

What are your current tests results?

Allen

lcstorc

I too was expectin gthe story to end with you coming home with a lot of fish. I am glad you contained yourself and just got the one fish and one shrimp. Keep a close eye on your parameters since your tank is so new. If you start to see amonia, do a water change.
Also, I have found Coral Beauties difficult to keep so don't be too suprised if he doesn't make it. My husband fell in love with them and we had 3 die before I could convince him to not get another. Could have been problems with the store since they were all bought at the same place. I hope you have much better luck with yours. They are beautiful fish for sure.

goldenmean

Thats cool!
and a steal.

Just watch your water levels for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite
and be prepared to do watcher changes iuf they start getting high.

I wish I could have had my brother (he lives in Jeff City) pick up some cheap fishies for me

Rep. Day

My water levels are:

pH - 8.4/8.5
Ammonia - zero
Nitrite - zero
Nitrate - between 8 and 10

I will be honest, it was tempting to bring home a car load of fish, but remembered Lynns signature about racecars and saltwater...don't want to crash too hard. Just thought of you guys, you would have had a ball shopping!

Do I need to do anything to change water levels? I will probably check it each day for a few days to see if anything big changes.

Thanks again,
Dave

DrHank

That's exactly what you should do. Keep a close eye on parameters. I've had a Coral Beauty in my tank for over a year. I've had several others in the past. That I can recall, only one died on me.

By the way, don't add anything else for a while. Personally, I'd probably give it at least a month. Plenty of time to plan your next move.

Rep. Day

OK....when planning I have come up with the following that I would like to have in the tank. Please tell me what you think or if I am going down the wrong road. And yes, I know it will have to happen over a pretty long period of time.

Have 1 Coral Beauty
Have one Banded Shrimp

Would like to add the following if it works:

possibly 2 clowns
possibly 4 or 5 yellow tail damiels (told they are the least aggressive)
possibly 2 DIADEMA PSEUDOCHROMIS
maybe something like a Racoon Butterfly

Is my 55 big enough for this and will those get along together?

As always, thanks for all of your help.

Dave

P.S. If these will work, what order would you suggest putting them in the tank?

mps9506

I would nix the 2 psuedos. They are mean and possibly won't get along. I've found them to be lean mean killing machines in general although they are quite pretty. And keep in mind with the raccoon b/fly you have no chance of adding corals to your system with a possible exception of noxious leather species.

Rep. Day

OK, if I skip the psuedos, will the rest work. I am not planning on doing corals, at least not at this point or in the tank. If I can get it to work, I am planning on setting up a large one downstairs and I may try to tackle corals there.

Anyway, would the rest of those work in a 55?

thanks,
Dave

DrHank

Butterfly fish in general don't do well (last long) in home aquariums. The Racoon is one of the hardier ones but, should you decide you want to add some coral at a later date, it would not be a good choice. Yellow tail damsels are hardy fish. The larger they grow, the meaner they get. The choice is yours however let me say that most of us probably don't have them in our tanks. If you like them though, I see no reason they wouldn't do well.

mps9506

I think it would be a bit crowded with all the damsels in there, but yes that would work with adequate filtration. The butterfly can get up to around 9 inches which is a pretty large fish for a 55 gallon tank. So it is right around the borderline for what I feel comfortable recommending in a 55. I would probably say the butterfly, two smaller clowns (like ocellarius or percs) and two other dither fish like damsels or maybe something more interesting like a goby would be more appropriate.